Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude's Best Seller for '61 (model, color, engine, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude's Best Seller for '61 (model, color, engine, etc.)

From the February 20th 1961 edition of Automotive News:

Click image for larger version

Name:	stude best sellers 1961 c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1737989
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

So it looks like mine is a popular one!!!!

Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
      So it looks like mine is a popular one!!!!
      But yours isn't an automatic!!!

Craig

Comment

Interesting that the LWB Cruiser was a significant seller for 1961----------1 Stude in 10.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          But yours isn't an automatic!!!

Craig
          True, but the article says transmission preference was 50/50.
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            Interesting that the LWB Cruiser was a significant seller for 1961----------1 Stude in 10.
            That must have been something to do with the fact that the Cruiser was the only New Model for Consumer use in '61, all other body styles had been added in 1960.

I think the coolest thing about them is, they are way different than a 4 Door Sedan or any other year so are quite special because unlike '62 to '66 you can actually spot one from a mile away!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a very nice low miles 1961 lark cruiser four door in the past. I currently have a 61 Hawk with a 289/4 speed and a 61 Lark 2 door with a OHV 6 and OD. Seems to me a lot of folks missed the bet in 61 as the cars I now have are more fun to drive than the 4 door was. Of course, this is just my opinion.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Was there a 59-60 taxi cab with the same stretch as a 61 Cruiser? cheers jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Here is another example from Straustown, PA, Keystone chapter meeting back in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                    Was there a 59-60 taxi cab with the same stretch as a 61 Cruiser? cheers jimmijim
                    Yes; it too was the Y body.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yep, good thing they all didn't end up like this poor thing did! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=turtle

Craig

Comment

Also.

Qsaersrftgvcxy?????????????!

If the green wrecked Lark is what's called a Y body or whatever, I've yet to see a 59-60 Lark supposedly available to the public with the rear vent window and stretch. Were they available.? Did the 61 Lark have fresh air intake just rear of the hood? and did they not use different rocker panels? The 61 cruiser has a 59-60 looking roof compared to regular 61 4 doors. Is the 61 cruiser 4 door windshield the same as a 59-60 Lark sedan. Someone please explain how the 61 Cruiser came about. Was the 59-60 roof streched or is it from one of the earlier sedans{ Classics, Land Cruisers from the 50's or 59-60 fleet leftover stamping? I'm confused and got's to know. cheers jimmijim
                        Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Wow Jim I am glad you only want to know about ONE Model!
                          Studebaker realized a bit late that they had let the people down that wanted a bit more interior space like the great luxurious and spacious '56 & '57 President Classic and '58 President Sedan "Y" bodies.

They already had them as mentioned in the stretch '59 & '60 "Y" body Fleet Cars (H.D. Sedans) that the U.S. Government had hundreds of in the Inter Agency Motor Pool Fleet, plus many Taxis and Co. Fleets.

So it was easy to re-create the old Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic Luxury Sedan "Y" Body by putting the best of everything into it.

They have Carpeted Firewall, Kick Panels, Door Panel bottoms, Map Pockets, fold down rear seat Arm Rests, the opening rear Vent Windows that H.D. Sedans lacked, Padded dash, deluxe steering wheel, better door panels and Clock all to ONE UP the already nicely appointed, but hardly ever sold '61 Lark Regal Sedan.

The rear Doors have the beautiful Studebaker trademark curved forward rear door windows like Starliner Hardtops, Starlight Coupes and all '53 to '60 & '62 Sedans NOT used on '61 Sedans. (which I see the new Hondas, Nissons and all copied)

What is really something Special is the Backlight, it appears to be a '59/'60 Lark but is nowhere near interchangeable, it goes ALL the way down to the deck as does the New for all '61 models, SQUARE cornered Windshield.

The '61's are the never discovered "sleepers" as they have all the latest upgrades that are more noticeble on '62 and on and are really nothing like the '59, '60 Larks. Like Fresh Air forced Cowl Vent Heating and Defrosting, Overhead Clutch & Brake Pedals, Saginaw recirculating Ball Steering Gears etc, etc. not to mention the New Overhead Valve 170 c.i. 112 HP 6.

The earlier Model Roof Panels would be a no fit due to completely different Windshields and Backlights.

All "Y" Body Larks '59-'61 have have the 113 inch wheelbase stretched from 109, and it worked so well to improve rear seat legroom, that they gave all '62 to '66 Models Cruiser Bodies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1678887 Click image for larger version

Name:	White Cruiser SB IN 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1678888 Click image for larger version

Name:	59LarkRegal4drHawian Green.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1678889

I seem to remember well having to explain all this once before in the last year, but I am terrible at making the Search function work well.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK Jim I'll take your order now for a Brand new '61 Studebaker Lark Cruiser Sedan with '61 Lark Performability!

Order it with the first available in a Lark, 289 Engine would be my suggestion.

Be sure to sign and then Drive!

Did I ever tell you that my Dad was one of the best Studebaker Salesmen in the Los Angeles Area!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              ........Studebaker realized a bit late that they had let the people down that wanted a bit more interior space like the great luxurious and spacious '56 & '57 President Classic and '58 President Sedan "Y" bodies.

They already had them as mentioned in the stretch '59 & '60 "Y" body Fleet Cars (H.D. Sedans) that the U.S. Government had hundreds of in the Inter Agency Motor Pool Fleet, plus many Taxis and Co. Fleets.

So it was easy to re-create the old Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic Luxury Sedan "Y" Body by putting the best of everything into it.

All "Y" Body Larks '59-'61 have have the 113 inch wheelbase stretched from 109, and it worked so well to improve rear seat legroom, that they gave all '62 to '66 Models Cruiser Bodies.
                              Hi StudeRich

Good point! The Y-bodied sedans had accounted for around 10% of overall sedan sales for years. Then suddenly for '59, in spite of keeping the Y-body in production, it was only offered in fleet and taxi livery. This left Studebaker customers used to availability of a more spacious and upscale model with nothing to buy. Some probably opted to wait another year or so, others left the dealership to have a look at a new Rambler Ambassador.

AMC was smart enough to recognize immediately that loyal Nash and Hudson customers might not have been willing to go to a compact-sized car. In that highly status conscious era, compact cars still had a stigma with many as indicative of excessive frugality or even penury. AMC's clever solution was to added a 9" longer front clip to the standard Rambler unibody, doll it up with fancier chrome, luxurious interior and the 327 ci V8.....but no additional rear seat footroom as was standard with the Y-bodies. The Ambassadors accounted for approximate 10% of annual sales and a higher unit profit series for moderate tooling cost.

Dropping the lwb Cruiser from the '59 Lark line-up was a major mistake and even more of a conundrum given the Y-body was maintained in production. I've wonder whether Mr. Egbert's first order when coming into the presidency was to reinstate an upmarket Y-body model immediately!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X