Towing with a flight-o-matic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with a flight-o-matic?

Growing up, all the old gearheads my grandpa always hung around with always went on and on about how "you can't tow with an automatic transmission". Obviously, in this modern day, that belief has gone out the window, and many automatic transmission vehicles come equipped with tow packages from the factory.

So what I'm wondering is, was this just an urban legend, or was there something about the older automatic transmissions that made them less ideal to tow with than today's counterparts?

My reason for asking is that I'd really like to drive the Lark to Colorado Springs if I can, but if I'm going to bring all my film and camera gear with me as I plan to I might need to pull a trailer. It wouldn't be large, likely one of those little two wheel mini-trailers that holds about a large trunk worth of luggage. You can practically pull those things with a bicycle, so I doubt it would put too much added stress on the car, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Simple answer, yes it was mostly urban legend.

Joe
    Last edited by irish; 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM.
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

For cars without a lock up clutch in the torque converter, the fluid can overheat if a heavy load is towed. Something as light as what you described won't hurt anything.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You know those little 4x8 trailers U-Haul has? I've had no problems towing one of those with my '65 Cruiser.
        She's done it twice cross county (San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL and Norfolk, VA to Bellingham, WA) not to mention multiple trips up and down the West Coast. I never had an issue other then the 3.07 gear in her 44TT. With that gear she didn't like pulling up hill with any sort of speed.
        Sweet Pea has a 283, 2v, and an automatic. At some point in her life a trans cooler was added.
        Which was easy because automatic '65 and '66 Studes already have cooling lines...

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I towed the same U-haul trailer Tx to Mass...yes mostly highway, but lots of hills/mtns......no problem just U-joints...

Comment

I have towed many full size cars (usually other Studebakers) with Studebakers with V8 and AT.
            The only problem that I remember is when the tow-bar jumped off when I was towing my Zip Van with my 1963 Cruiser. With safety chains and mirror driving, I made out okay. Being alone, it was just difficult getting everything hooked up again.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I have towed many full size cars (usually other Studebakers) with Studebakers with V8 and AT.
              The only problem that I remember is when the tow-bar jumped off when I was towing my Zip Van with my 1963 Cruiser. With safety chains and mirror driving, I made out okay. Being alone, it was just difficult getting everything hooked up again.
              That had to have been exciting.

Comment

In college I towed a two wheel axle trailer, 12' aluminum fishing boat with 7.5 HP outboard, trolling motor, and fishing gear all the time with my 61 Studebaker Lark VI Regal Sedan and automatic transmission. Never ever had any issues pulling up and down Alabama hills and hollers, or pulling the boat and trailer out of the water and up the steep boat ramps.
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                X