Suspect E-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect E-mail

I had an E-mail today with attachment, selling a 1935 Studebaker that had been advertised in classic magazines. He named out Chapter and wondered if I would place an ad in our newsletter and send the attachment to all my friends. I deleted it, but thought I would alert those of you that are curious enough to open attachments. The address was Switzerland and not Nigeria but sounded too phony.

I may be overly worried about computer virus in attachments from someone I don't know.

You never know Doug, it COULD be one of our few Members in Switzerland, OR you end up advertising some crook's fradulent "fake sale" of someone else's Car! Not what your Chapter needs!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I get those sometimes. The last phony e-mail I got started out--
      "Hi Mr. Rick, You doesnt knows me. We met,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I never open those and I deleted it so fast, I didn't know my 62 year old fingers could work that fast.

Comment

I have been getting those kinds od emails lately too, I have gotten used to hitting the delete button very quickly.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

In the words of Cybermen: 'You will be deleted!!!'
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

...as opposed to Daleks: "EXTERMINATE!!!"
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't you wish that you had a key on the keyboard that could be used to reply to these messages with "Melt Hard Drive".
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I got that email too, and he named the chapter as well. It looks like he pulled the email addresses from the chapter website. Easy enough to delete.

Comment

Easy enough to delete.
                  And I did that a mere 3 minutes ago before coming here to the forum.
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                    Don't you wish that you had a key on the keyboard that could be used to reply to these messages with "Melt Hard Drive".
                    Yes, and right before it melts a giant bullit nose pops up on the screen.

Comment

Our chapter newsletter editor and I both got one of those. I knew no one in our chapter could ship a car from Switzerland so I deleted the message. The tag on the last picture said, "what the car could look like".
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, since my last post just a short while ago I too received the email from a Fred Freier wanting to sell a '42 Studebaker. He asked about putting an ad in our newsletter naming our chapter perfectly. The delete button has been pushed. Oh, and he also sent a copy of his email to each member of our Board of Directors. He is up to date with that since those elections took place in December and have not been on the SDC website for a month.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

@ flatheadgeo - yes, a dalek gatekeeper for the forum !!

Comment

Doug. Does the chapter in question have a Facebook page, if so that may be the problem.
                            Spammers are using Facebook to hack into people's emails, so be careful.

Patrick.

Comment

I just got the "Fred Freier" email yesterday. We just put up a Facebook page a week ago. Coincidence??????
                              I deleted the email VERY QUICKLY!
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X