Elapsed Times Magazine Studebaker article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elapsed Times Magazine Studebaker article

Has anyone seen the current Spring edition of the "Elapsed Times Magazine", with the Budwiser King's 53 Studebaker Gasser?

Of all the muti-million dollar race cars Kenny Bertsein broke speed records with, he always seems to mention his first, like it was his first kiss.
    Hard to believe an Avanti trying to break 200mph on open salt flats, let alone Kenny being 1st to break 200mph in 1/4 mile drag racing.

Unfortunately the last part about someone in the northwest was exaggerated and taken out of context.
    Beside all the famous old time drag racing cars and drivers in this magazine, there are some great photo's of Jungle Pam and has the Snake & the Mongoose on the front cover.
    Some great Car Craft archives.

James
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

Why doesn't some one put a 200 MPH 1/4 mile drag motor in a salt flat car and break that record? Seems to me that would be easy as heck.

Comment

I believe the Avanti he is referring to had a Studebaker engine. An Avanti with a more radical engine would be faster.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Has anyone seen the current Spring edition of the "Elapsed Times Magazine", with the Budwiser King's 53 Studebaker Gasser?
        Yes - great magazine, loved it.
        The article's not accurate, but the pix are cool.

(And Kenny was the first to 300, not 200)
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Never heard of that magizine before. Dare I ask where to find it down here in SoCal?
          Better yet~ Dad, when you find it- buy two!!!

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            Never heard of that magizine before. Dare I ask where to find it down here in SoCal?
            Better yet~ Dad, when you find it- buy two!!!

StudeDave '57
            Dave,

It's published by Car Craft Magazine. They have been around for a long time.
            I'm also in CA working in San Francisco for a week and found a copy.
            Lot's of good old vintage drag racing pictures and info.
            If you can't find a copy, go to magazine section of Fred Meyers in Bellingham.
            Hopefully Elapsed Times will print some other Stude articles and pictures.

James
            Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
            Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Got a look at the mag while waiting for the boss at the supermarket....that gasser is awesome, and a k to boot, would have figured most gassers would have been c body cars because they were lighter and stronger (IIRC) Looks like stock front suspension...did they get it to sit so high in the front with longer springs? The wide white piecrust slicks are icing on the cake. regards, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
              X