Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitfalls & Problem importing one from Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitfalls & Problem importing one from Canada?

Hi
    I was looking on the RM Auctions website, that upcoming auction of Fawcett Movie Cars has a couple of Studebaker that look interesting.
    Any one bought cars in Canada? What are the problems and pitfalls of bringing one back into the U.S.?
    Steve

Essentially no problems. You'll need a clean title. That's about it. The serial number will be checked against the title and there is some simple import paperwork that needs to be competed. If you bring the car across yourself, the US Customs folks will walk you through it at the boarder. If you use a broker and have it transported, even simpler.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Essentially no problems. You'll need a clean title. That's about it. The serial number will be checked against the title and there is some simple import paperwork that needs to be competed. If you bring the car across yourself, the US Customs folks will walk you through it at the boarder. If you use a broker and have it transported, even simpler.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Dick
        Thanks for the info, maybe I will take that auction in.
        Steve

Comment

Hi Dick
          Thanks for the info, maybe I will take that auction in.
          Steve

Comment

I almost purchased a car in Canada. I questioned the taxes due at the border crossing into the US. The seller said no txes if the car was transported. I haven't a clue if that's the case.

Comment

I almost purchased a car in Canada. I questioned the taxes due at the border crossing into the US. The seller said no txes if the car was transported. I haven't a clue if that's the case.

Comment

I've contacted RM Auctions a couple of weeks ago about those cars and would like to go out and see them. I'm about an hour away. I'm interested in the '59. My biggest problem is the PSMCDR is the same weekend as the auction.

Check with a US Customs Office for exact details.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I've contacted RM Auctions a couple of weeks ago about those cars and would like to go out and see them. I'm about an hour away. I'm interested in the '59. My biggest problem is the PSMCDR is the same weekend as the auction.

Check with a US Customs Office for exact details.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have never brought a car over, but I have done a number of tractors. I have hired a local trucking company that used a customs broker at the border. One time I used a fellow that grought a crawler across on a ferry in a driving snowstorm. When he got to the checkpoit they wanted all sorts of information. He went inside the building, used the restroom, told the officer everything was fine and simply drove off! [:0]

Comment

I have never brought a car over, but I have done a number of tractors. I have hired a local trucking company that used a customs broker at the border. One time I used a fellow that grought a crawler across on a ferry in a driving snowstorm. When he got to the checkpoit they wanted all sorts of information. He went inside the building, used the restroom, told the officer everything was fine and simply drove off! [:0]

Comment

Titles are not used in Canada. Insurance papers are the only proof of ownership.

Terry

Comment

Titles are not used in Canada. Insurance papers are the only proof of ownership.

Terry

Comment

That's not true in Ontario. We have official "Ownerships" from the Ministry of Transportation that has two parts- a vehicle portion that has the VIN of the vehicle and a plate portion which you separate and keep with your plates ("tags") when you sell the car. The vehicle portion gets signed over to the new owner and goes with the car.
                            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

That's not true in Ontario. We have official "Ownerships" from the Ministry of Transportation that has two parts- a vehicle portion that has the VIN of the vehicle and a plate portion which you separate and keep with your plates ("tags") when you sell the car. The vehicle portion gets signed over to the new owner and goes with the car.
                              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X