Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Avanti article in Hagerty News

'Just received this in my home IN box; a nice piece:

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/News/All-Articles/2013/01/17/Studebaker-Avanti-Turns-50?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=H agerty%20Weekly%20News%2001-21-2013

I posted in the Comments section about the 290 HP rating for the R2 being a popular misquote of the actual 289 HP rating.

(Well, did Loewy or did Loewy not design the famous Coca-Cola bottle? ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That is a nice article. It is better than most.
    I also do not believe that Loewy styled the Coke bottle. He did style the countertop Coke dispenser. He MAY have done a slight redesign on the Coke bottle. I use "Coke" even though that is a later name.
    I sent in a comment that Avanti production went through 2007 with the 2001-2007 Avantis being a redesign in the Avanti theme by one of the original designers, Tom Kellogg.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is a pretty decent article! I loved seeing that big Avanti photo staring at me from my email client, too

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Looks like the radiator air intake opening is painted the body color. Oh-Oh! Wrong thread!

Comment

I just opened this email report from Hagerty and was excited to see such an article from a company I use. I suppose there are minor mistakes but I found the article refreshingly positive.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I noticed that Hagerty had written something earlier and said the Avanti production ended with the Ohio production of the convertibles and 4 door sedans. I believe they were considering the Firebirds and the Mustangs as re-bodied cars and didn't include them with the others. Other than the end of production issue, I loved the article and also sent in a reply about the article.
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Good article---Can I get one for $4445.00 like the article says.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                Good article---Can I get one for $4445.00 like the article says.
                'Prolly, but it will need a lot of work. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                  I noticed that Hagerty had written something earlier and said the Avanti production ended with the Ohio production of the convertibles and 4 door sedans. I believe they were considering the Firebirds and the Mustangs as re-bodied cars and didn't include them with the others. Other than the end of production issue, I loved the article and also sent in a reply about the article.
                  The 1987-1991 Avantis are really rebodied cars also.
                  IMO, the 1990 is less of an Avanti design/body than the 2001-2007 Avantis (designed by Tom Kellogg).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    The
                    IMO, the 1990 is less of an Avanti design/body than the 2001-2007 Avantis (designed by Tom Kellogg).
                    By 1990, do you mean the 4-door?
                    If yes, I've got to disagree, it still has more orginal Avanti DNA than the 2001-2007s...even with Kellogg's involvement with the latter.
                    After all, they share the same front clip and rear design of the 1987-91 cars.

If you mean the basic Avanti concept (a personal coupe instead of a luxury sedan) I might agree.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Rebodied, which they definitely were, having the Chevy bodies removed and a complete Avanti body put on, still were in the vein of the original design. Who knows what their reasoning was to not include the 01 - 07's. Wasn't more of the Firebird's and Mustang's inner body structure(shell) used in the 01 - 07 production cars versus the 90 & 91's? I know it seems that we are splitting hairs or in this case fenders and metal about this. I wonder if they (Avanti Motors) could have gone to a custom frame fabricator like Art Morrison to make up the frame and save a boat load of money in production costs. Our federal safety standards probably would have killed any thoughts like that, bankrupting any company with short pockets trying to meet safety standards.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                        I wonder if they (Avanti Motors) could have gone to a custom frame fabricator like Art Morrison to make up the frame and save a boat load of money in production costs. Our federal safety standards probably would have killed any thoughts like that, bankrupting any company with short pockets trying to meet safety standards.
                        IIRC, Stephen Blake was exploring that possibility with Gale Banks.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                          IIRC, Stephen Blake was exploring that possibility with Gale Banks.
                          Steve Blake worked with Herb Adams on developing a chassis. Gale Banks is a turbocharger guru.
                          mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                            Steve Blake worked with Herb Adams on developing a chassis. Gale Banks is a turbocharger guru.
                            Yes, you're correct. My bad.
                            But didn't Banks and Adams work together on modified Firebirds? If so, that's why I tied them together....
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                              By 1990, do you mean the 4-door?
                              If yes, I've got to disagree, it still has more orginal Avanti DNA than the 2001-2007s...even with Kellogg's involvement with the latter.
                              After all, they share the same front clip and rear design of the 1987-91 cars.

Yes, all 1990 model Avantis were/are four door sedans. The 1990s DO NOT use the same front clip as the early Avantis.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X