Need Avanti drivers door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Avanti drivers door

The area where the power window pivot is mounted is beyond repair. So I don't a complete door just the inner skin. Either will work for me. Thanks for your help. Harvey

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
    The area where the power window pivot is mounted is beyond repair. So I don't a complete door just the inner skin. Either will work for me. Thanks for your help. Harvey
    Harvey

Your best luck other than a forum member would be Nostalgic motors in Wixom, Mi. Dan Booth

But, I've been looking at my 74's bare doors for quite a while as It's getting ready for paint, and I'm curious why a quart of resin and some glass mat wouldn't fix your problem. Maybe a steel plate too. It would be a lot less expensive.

IIRC, Jeff Rice (DEEPNHOCK) repaired the hinge pockets on one a while back and that looks like a more difficult area to repair than the area you describe.

Bob

Comment

Contact Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service, his business card is in Turning Wheels. I sent my Avanti there after parting out. It had good doors at that time.

Comment

Bob, I agree with your idea of repair, but unfortunately a previous owner had already repaired the area in a very poor fashion. When I removed the previous repair there was nothing left of the door panel at the area where the pivot mounts. So I have two big holes in the door...a factory one to access the mechanisms and another just above it where the pivot mounts. I'm going to try for a door first and if that fails I'll have to do some fabricating.

Doug, thanks for the tip. I will contact him.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti door January 2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1678653Bob, here is why a little matt and resin wouldn't do. I don't have to ruin a perfectly good door as I found the piece of the door I needed.

Comment

Don't overlook the use of fibreglass board stock to replace or reinforce sections of the inner panel. If there is a fibreglass boat manufacturer in your area, check with them for cutout or trim scrap. You can usually get them for free. Otherwise, you can make your own by laying up several layers of matte on a piece of plate glass. There are several areas of the inner panel that should be reinforced - hinge pads, regulator idler support and the contoured section between regulator and idler. I also reinforce the outer door skin around the handle pocket, as this area is often stress-cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
              Bob, here is why a little matt and resin wouldn't do. I don't have to ruin a perfectly good door as I found the piece of the door I needed.
              Harvey

I'm glad you were able to find a piece to replace the damaged section. Replacing a door is a lot of effort when repainting is involved and the area would have been a difficult repair without the replacement part.

Could you post a shot or two of the repair. I learn a lot from these posts.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
              X