Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm baaaack... with an offer you can't refuse

How's that for an intro?

Hi all. I'm sure a couple of you might remember me. I was pretty regularly posting until a couple months ago. With my line of work, the holidays are killer, so I pretty much fall off the radar until mid-January. So I'm getting back into the swing of things, and hopefuly in the next couple weeks I'll be back around more regularly.

Sadly though, I also have bad news. The weather was nice today, so I thought I'd go grab some tools from the garage I'm storing the '60 that belonged to my grandpa and swap out a bad brake cylinder on my '63. Anyway, I got to my garage, opened it up, and wham: ALL my tools are gone. I mean everything. My welding gear, my jacks and jackstands, the air compressor, the grinders, sanders, sawzall, the whole 9 yards. I've been robbed, and in a big way. As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm more than a little upset about this. What's more, my insurance might not cover this, as in my own stupidity I never added the garage (which is offsite from where I live) to my policy. I'm going to see if they'll work with me, but I very well may be out of thousands of dollars of tools.

As such, I've decided that if anyone wants to make me an offer on the pair of '60 Larks, I'm open to just about any offer. Neither runs. The hardtop is almost entirely disassembled except for the drivetrain. It has extensive rust in the floors. The sedan is missing a transmission, interior, and hood, but is in pretty good shape over all. There's a lot of work to be done, but these two cars could be built into something cool.

I don't want anyone to think I'm being rash. I've been thinking about displacing these cars for a while. I just don't have time to work on them. I literally hadn't been by the garage since Thanksgiving. Even with my full arsenal of tools, it would have been a daunting, years long task to make something of these cars. Without my tools, they're dead weight I can't do anything with. I have the '63 now, so it's not like I'm leaving the Studebaker world. I'd prefer them to go to someone who will actually take a crack at restoring them instead of just scrapping them. So if you're interested and somewhere near Omaha, get in touch and we can figure out a time to come look at them.

Thanks guys! Talk to you all soon.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

What a bugger Jim, I hope you get help with the insurance company. Someone will take the Larks and make use of them (I hope), they'll have some useful parts in any case.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

That's terrible, Jim; what a bummer. 'Hope someone can use the Larks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Jeez what a XXXX! I wish I was on your side of the lake, I can't think of much else that pisses me of so much as robbery (well maby rape then!), but here I am & I reckon this is a kinda warning to all of us...
        & I wish you luck for the rest & that someone saves one(!) of your pretty Larks so you can fix the other one for those money.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the tools. I hope you had insurance. I got mine stolen about thirty years ago and replaced them all with new craftsman tools, most of which I still have.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That's terrible news, I always worry that someone will break into my garage and clean out my tools. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              That's terrible news, I always worry that someone will break into my garage and clean out my tools. Bud
              Bud, I think with the neighborhoods around you deteriating so badly, it may be time for a surviallance, camera and alarm system if you don't yet.
              Having grown up in Hawthorne I know it USED to be a Great place to live.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Jim. I had all my mechanics tools that I made my living with ripped off once, devastating.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

You should file a police report, even if you can't narrow down the date. Many of the larger tools have serial numbers. If you provide the S/Ns to the police, in the event that they recover them, you can get them back (unless the insurance has paid off on them - best case). Look at CraigsList in your area, over the recent past, to see if any of the items (that you can identify) are listed as for sale.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah, actually I'm at the garage right now. The cops even called the crime lab van to come look. I always wanted to be on CSI.

thanks for the kind words everyone. If you bump into anyone looking for a project, let me know. I can't do anything more with the two 60s right now.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss Jim. I had it happen to me in 2009. The police here didnt want to come out & investigate until I told them of one item that was stolen, which I had the serial number registered. It was recovered last year & was being held for evidence in a case where I was supposed to be informed of so I could attend the sentencing. I havent been informed as of yet & am awaiting notification of the return of my property. I'm not holding my breath.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry you got ripped off. I know exactly how you feel...I think. I was a mechanic from '69 to '75 and then gave all of my tools to a younger brother when I went in the Army. He liked to work part time at a local service station and said that he was interested in getting a job as a mechanic in a dealership. Six months later I returned home on leave from training to find out that within six weeks of my entering the Army he'd sold about $6K worth of tools for $800 so he could buy some pot. That's a fence that's never been mended.

They probably didn't go far. Have you been around to the local flea markets and swap meets looking for them? Checked ebay and craigslist? Gone around to the local shops to see if anyone has bought any used tools from someone. Checked the Pennysaver? Checked local pawn shops? Checked the tag sale ads? If you find them being sold somewhere don't let the thief know that you know they are stolen and don't ask questions about them or confront the thief - just walk far enough away to keep your eye on him without him knowing you're watching him and call the police immediately.

Hope you get them back.
                        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                        Kenmore, Washington
                        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                        '69 Pontiac Firebird
                        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

do you have pictures of the cars Jim? How is the sheet metal?

btw - Very sorry to hear about your tools. That is terrible news.
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I agree with housdok: keep yourself out of sight from the thief's if you find them.

I had my 1950 jazz/blues guitar stolen once & a year later I found it on display in a guitar-shop's window! ...so I went in to a bakery & borrowed their phone & called the cops (I had pictures of me playing it) & I got it back but I had to pay the shop(!) what they've payed the junkie but that was only a 5:th of the guitars value, so I didn't mind.

BUT: I'm not sure what would've happened if I would've just walked in & said "That's MY guitar, it's stolen!"...

Comment

I dont get why you had to pay the shop that bought a stolen item. If you bought something stolen you would have to give it back free of charge and might still face receiving stolen property charges
                              Norm
                              58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                              58 2 door wagon
                              Davenport, Fl

Comment

Working...
                              X