2004 Avanti Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Avanti Convertible

I am looking at an Avanti currently listed on eBay as a 2004 convertible.

Owner says it is registered as a Firebird and built on Firebird frame with Corvette V8.

I know there were some GM based Avantis in that period the question is does that sound correct?

Also he claims to have info from Avanti Motors recognizing as an Avanti and similar documentation from GM recognizing it as a Firebird. It is titled asa Firebird.

So the question then is this eligble to be used in Studebaker Driver Club events?

Any way to put a value on this car?

Thanks//
    acedrummond@gmail.com

Parker Colorado - Avanti Owner Since 6, Feb 2013

To: acedrummond,----Yes, this automobile would definitely be welcomed at Studebaker Drivers Club events.

Comment

Originally posted by acedrummond View Post
      I am looking at an Avanti currently listed on eBay as a 2004 convertible.

Owner says it is registered as a Firebird and built on Firebird frame with Corvette V8.

I know there were some GM based Avantis in that period the question is does that sound correct?

Also he claims to have info from Avanti Motors recognizing as an Avanti and similar documentation from GM recognizing it as a Firebird. It is titled asa Firebird.

So the question then is this eligble to be used in Studebaker Driver Club events?

Any way to put a value on this car?

Thanks//
      Welcome to the Forum! Since you are new, you probably missed the other thread on the subject Avanti listing.

2001-2004 Avantis were built on Firebirds. This particular one is buit on a 2002 Pontiac Firebird. It became a 2004 Avanti.
      It was not built with a Corvette engine. It was built with the engine that was originaly in the Firebird.
      As new, they had MSOs from GM and Avanti. Different states handled the titling different - some Pontiac, some Avanti and some issued their own numbers. It is eligible for both SDC and AOAI events. My question is the one answered at the bottom of the listing. I have been tracking the 2001-2007 Avantis and have, in my mind, established a price on them. IMO, the bid is already high. With that said, value is an individual thing and you should bid what it is worth to you.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by acedrummond View Post

Thanks//
        Yes, they sure were rebodied Firebirds. I don't know about the Corvette engine though. I have a book that doesn't give much details on the cars equipment or engines*, but in it, they reproduce a 2004 sales brochure that says it was a GM 350 LT1 engine. I'll leave it to the GM experts to say whether that engine was in a Corvette or not...but I'll certainly agree with whatever Gary says.

Base price for a 2004 convertible is listed as $63,000.

Also reproduced in the book is a March 31, 1997 AutoWeek article on the AVX (which was the original name for the reborn Avanti) and it made no bones about the fact it was an F body re-body. At that time, the Firebird to Avanti conversion cost $33,900 and you supplied the Firebird. So the fact that the later cars were titeled as Firebirds does not come as a shock.

If you're considering buying tne car you might be interested to learn the book also says 53 2004 Avants were built...along with three AVX prototypes in the late 90s. The 2005-07 cars were based on Mustangs.

* Avanti, The Complete Story by John Hull
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

If you're considering buying tne car you might be interested to learn the book also says 53 2004 Avants were built...along with three AVX prototypes in the late 90s. The 2005-07 cars were based on Mustangs.

* Avanti, The Complete Story by John Hull
          I believe that the 53 production number includes ALL 2001-2004 Firebird based Avantis (not just 2004).
          I believe that there were 40 2005-2007 Mustang based Avantis.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I believe that the 53 production number includes ALL 2001-2004 Firebird based Avantis (not just 2004).
            I believe that there were 40 2005-2007 Mustang based Avantis.
            " Mustang based Avanti".......UGH!!!

Comment

LT-1 engines weren't used after '97 in GM vehicles. Firebird, Camaro, Corvette, Impala SS and a few others. it was replaced with the LS-1, which was in my '99 Vette.

in the specs, the seller states it's a LS-1 engine. that would be correct for Firebird, Camaro and Corvette of that year (02).
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                " Mustang based Avanti".......UGH!!!
                SN60.. Whats wrong with a "Mustang Based Avanti" After all they shared 289's at on point..:-)
                Ron Husak
                Ron Husak
                Conifer, CO
                Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
                63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

• willyj
                  willyj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 289 mustang engine was a totally different engine from the 289 Studebaker engine. Different bore and stroke

To: ronhusak,----I guess You've got me on the 289 thing!

Comment

a 2004 Avanti would be recognized at either an SDC or AOAI event. I'll have my 2006 at the Colorado meet this summer.
                  1951 Custom
                  1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                  1962 Champ
                  1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                  1963 Avanti R1
                  1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                  2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Thanks

I really appreciate all the info you guys have to share.

Thanks//
                    acedrummond@gmail.com

Parker Colorado - Avanti Owner Since 6, Feb 2013

Comment

I have a 2002 Firebird based Avanti...it's the same LS1 engine as the Corvette, though it's rated at somewhat lower horsepower...due to GM's desire that no car can have equal or better power ratings than Corvette...plus the different exhaust system and slightly different factory tune. Corvette LS1's also have a few Corvette specific parts as well. But it's still an LS1 with appropriate engine stampings for a TransAm.

One nice thing about that LS1 is the easy availability of bolt-on and programmable go-fast goodies for it.

it is true that different states title them differently. Mine is titled as an Avanti though for emissions purposes it comes up as a Firebird.

I saw the eBay auction for the '04 Avanti and as the owner of one similar I don't believe the bids are high enough to suit me but being realistic I'm surprised at how high the bidding is.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Trying to establish a value for the car is very tricky business. Given the unique status of the the 02 - 04 and the 05 - 07 Avanti, would one automatically value them at their new car purchase price or feel they have appreciated in value to an amount above the MSRP? A car could appreciate in value if it were a very popular model an it was a collector type edition. These cars have a lot going for them with today's modern drive trains, GM and Ford servicing,parts availability, the unique name and model history as well as updated styling coming from the DNA of the original design team. Let's face it, the Avanti has never been widely popular, but has come back from the dead several times.
                        As time passes, the Firebird and Mustang based Avantis may appreciate as the original has, but probably not as much as muscle cars have, certainly not in the same ballpark as the C1 and C2 gen .Vette's appreciation.
                        Watching the auction, I'm surprised the bidding is over 30 K. A everyday realistic value for these cars may be 40 - 45 K. A B-J or Mecum auction might get closer to that figure than the Ebay auction, due to the immediate nature of the auction, hopefully with 3 or more people that just can't live without that car. I have no idea what the reserve is, but I don't think the bidding is going to get out of the mid 30's which I'll bet is below the reserve.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Using the Hagerty Valuation Guide, a 2004 Avanti is not listed, 02 and 03 are. A #1 convertible is listed @$36800 and a #2 is listed @ $31000. By comparison, Kelly Blue Book has a 2002 Firebird Trans Am convert listed at $23000. Again with Hagerty, comparing the 02-03's to the earlier Avanti II's, a #1 76 was listed @22300 and a #2 @ $16600.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Wasn't John Seaton part of the group that put these together? and with him being from Minnesota originally could this be his? Last time I saw him was at the 1994 Minnesota International meet, we went to high school together in West St Paul.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Working...
                            X