Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Flange axle ,basically a 1 piece axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Is the Flange axle ,basically a 1 piece axle?

Just gotta know, so I get it right .So if it evers comes up in conversation.

Sure...!?

Mike

Comment

Yes it is, Michael, if you mean as compared to "regular" Studebaker tapered axles that require a hub and brake drum to be attached to the end of them before you can fit a wheel and tire to the end of the axle.

The flanged axle is one piece.

The tapered axle is, in effect, a three-piece assembly (axle shaft, hub, brake drum) before it is "the same" as a one-piece flanged axle. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would suggest in this analogy, that the flanged axle is functionally equivalent to a two piece assembly, the tapered axle and the hub.

Or, that the three piece tapered axle/hub/drum assembly mentioned above is functionally equivalent to a two piece flanged axle and drum.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Both are one piece axles everything else is something different, a hub is a hub, a drum is a drum and an axle is an axle.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Here's a photo of my Fairborn Studebaker flanged axles installed in my avanti's dana 44 rear axle. The Fairborn axles are basically Moser Engineering axles machined for Studebaker differentials. I also converted by differential from a standard differential to a Posi-Trac by installing a Auburn Gear Posi-Trac unit (with proper Studebaker 19 spline count), the Auburn Gear unit was available when I purchased a couple of years ago from National Drivetrain, Inc.

P.S. The Posi-Trac in the rear end makes my car a dream when powering through curves
            Last edited by okc63avanti; 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

14x7, for the sake of your conversations, the factory R3 Avanti flanged axle was created by welding 2 pieces together.

Comment

I have seen flange axles where a weld was evident in the centering hub.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez, that's how the R3 axles appear. I understood from the shop the removed and replaced the bearing for me, that this is or was commonly done to narrow track width on dragsters. I'm not aware just how that is accomplished. Since the bearing/ring kit fits '60 era Ford pickups, I would guess that possibly 2 axles were used to create a narrower one by removing and boring the flanged hub and mounting it over an axle shaft that has the hub turned down. Does anyone have specific knowledge on how this was done?

Comment

It was the same way on the R3 I did. I have seen it on other vehicles too.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

John, are those Rear Disc Brake Brackets that I see in your photo? If the answer is yes, what rotors, calipers etc. are used?
                      Thanks
                      JLB,

Comment

The Moser axle is a 1 piece forging.
                        Way better than anything welded.....
                        Cut to the chase, men.....
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...
                          X