strength and durablity of the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: strength and durablity of the rear

Hey guys, got a question bout the rear in my 49 R5.

We want to swap the motor and tranny for something beefier, v-8 of some sort and a 4 speed preferably.

The question is what kind of work can the original rear in the truck take??? You guys think it will hold up to the swap or should i look to replace that too???

I have the smallest Flathead 6 available in that truck, with the 3 speed on the column.

What you guys think??

40 views, no opinions???? thats not good, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbodyman View Post
      40 views, no opinions???? thats not good, haha.
      Not necessarily, there are over twelve thousand members of the SDC. Of that twelve thousand...fewer than 100 on the forum at any given moment. Of that 100...even fewer that have crammed a big powerful engine in a little R series truck. Be patient, so far you have not had opinions from those with "Declared knowledge." (That's the guys that make something up and repeat it so much that they even believe it.)

Be patient...someone, with real experience and knowledge, may stumble on the thread and steer you in the right direction.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

jclary wrote -
        ""Be patient, so far you have not had opinions from those with "Declared knowledge." (That's the guys that make something up and repeat it so much that they even believe it.) ""

Ha...great comment..!

I won't answer...because I have no idea what axle assembly is in the truck. If I knew what manufacturer and model axle we're talking about, I may have an opinion.

Mike

Comment

OK !
          This is "declared knowledge"
          But, I think regardless of how strong the stock rearend is, wouldn't the main concern be the rear end GEAR RATIO ?
          Those suckers cruised at 45-50 MPH.
          Check in on "Stubebaker Truck Talk". Whole bunch of real knowledge there.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

and these trucks get modified often. The ratio (way too high, numerically) is one issue, getting it all cleaned up with new brakes is another. And what bolt pattern is the third. If you're going to modify it hotrod style (V8/4spd) why not just complete the vehicle with a rear axle that compliments it. 9" ford, 12 bolt chev, Dana 44 or 60? They all came in leaf spring equipped vehicles, and the choice of ratios is a catalog, speed shop, or off-road supply shop away.
            sigpic
            JohnP, driving & reviving
            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

hey allstateguy, Yeh thats the plan to just replace the entire driveline if available. But if we find a motor and trans only and we wanted to drive the truck around till a rear was found, we wanted to know if it would be ok, and safe, plus not ruin it incase we could sell it down the road to someone that needs it.

Comment

A 1949 model 2R5 probably has a Dana model 41, predecessor to the 44. R/A ratio is likely to be 4.82:1.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

DBM, it looks like if you find a V8 with a T5 behind it (Camaro or Moostang), you could probably drive it around safely as long as you don't dump the clutch, and don't drive faster than the brakes can stop you. Now we're back to that 50-55 mph again!
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

yeh, i want the V8, but im by no means taking it to the drag strip, hahaha. So if i find something with the driving i'll be doing i'm sure the rear will hold up until i get the right one eventually.

Thanks for all your help guys

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbodyman View Post
                      yeh, i want the V8, but im by no means taking it to the drag strip, hahaha. So if i find something with the driving i'll be doing i'm sure the rear will hold up until i get the right one eventually.

Thanks for all your help guys
                      For some reason, I thought you were building a rod. (Perhaps I have confused your project with another members) If you are, for the time being, planning on using the original engine. The original rear should be fine. You did mention it has a three speed on the column. However, you did not mention if it has overdrive. If it has overdrive, it should be OK for average highway use as it is now equipped.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am building a rod, but I'm not taking it on the quarter mile, or smoking the tires. I have no plans on using the original motor in it. My concern was if i happen to find a motor and trans for sale, if the stock rear would hold up to the higher torque and horsepower till i could find a better rear separately.

I do not believe it has overdrive. I think this truck was the most basic of models available that year.

Comment

Sorry, Been watching TV, dozing off and should have been reading more closely. There are some members here who have done some very neat upgrades to these trucks who should be able to recommend exactly what you need.

I once had a modified truck that had a non stock rear end and a stock straight front axle. (Not a Stude) Everything worked fine as far as drive-ability, but the front and rear wheels were different. Makes it a bit dicey for carrying a spare on long trips. I'm sure you'll choose something that works for your purpose. Good luck with it.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a 1976 Torino Wagon rear end under my 49. 9 inch 3.25 gears.

Comment

1. Decide on what engine and transmission is going to be used. That will decide what rear gear ratio is needed.

2. Then ask if anyone here has a later pickup rear axle with Twin Traction. There will probably be one offered.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X