'64 Cruiser Kick Panel Pocket(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Cruiser Kick Panel Pocket(s)?

Good morning - I have a '64 Canadian Cruiser and as part of my self-education, I study every picture I see of the model. I've seen Cruisers with a map pocket on the passenger side kick panel. Mine doesn't have one, nor can I find any clue that it ever did. Was this standard equipment? Was there a mate on the driver's side? Something that was dropped when all production moved to Hamilton? So many questions...

As always, I appreciate your help.
    Sue

standard for all Cruisers in the US....found on both kick panels too...

Comment

I have a 64 Daytona hardtop that had one on the passenger side, and when I restored it, I added one to the other side, too. (Can't say I've ever used them for anything, but they look nice.) I can find no specific discussion of the kick panel pockets in either the 64 dealer album or the upholstery guide. And I can no longer remember whether the pocket(s) was/were separately optional, or just came with a particular interior combination, but they were not restricted to just Cruisers. The Fred Fox article on the 64s may have included some discussion of this.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

My 64 Cruiser has one on the passenger side only, also on the back of the bench seat. I would think one on the driver side would interfere with operation of the parking brake pedal.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

It would also possibly interfere with the internal control antenna also if it was provided on the drivers side.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks y'all. The education continues.
            Sue

Comment

I have only seen pockets on the passenger side kick panel. My 63 had it just like Pat said. My current 64 is the same way, except I have factory bickets. so each bucket has a pocket on the back as well as the passenger kick panel. My drivers kick panel is all beatup because of the emergency brake, so it never had a map pocket.

I know that the couple in Colorado have the map pockets (factory ones) in stock.

Mark

Comment

Our Hamilton built 64' Cruiser has the one map pocket on the passenger side only.
                Dean

CLEM

Comment

Once they used the emergency brake pedal on the drivers side I don't think they used the rollup ant. either.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Our 65 Daytona Wagonaire has one on the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                      Once they used the emergency brake pedal on the drivers side I don't think they used the rollup ant. either.
                      Yep, as verified by the engineer: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=lamberti

Craig

Comment

Yes-I've parted '63's that had pockets on BOTH sides but with the swing brake pedal on the '64-'66 models I've only seen it on the passenger side. I may have some spares since I recently sold my '64 Cruiser. I don't see how a wind up ant. could be used in a '64/'66 Cruiser w/the swing brake pedal. Rob in PA

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                          Our 65 Daytona Wagonaire has one on the right side.
                          This is interesting......now did the right hand control cars have roll up ant . for this application? I wouldn't think one that was built for US production could not go on the other side.
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Sorry, when I said right side I should have said passenger side has a pocket.
                            I'm used to saying right for parts at my job.
                            The 65 daytona wagonaire seems to have door panels similar to the 64 cruiser, seats are vinyl but are like the cruiser seats with the buttons. Maybe that's why they got the kick panel pocket. I can't remember if it has the pocket on the seat back.
                            Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                              Yes-I've parted '63's that had pockets on BOTH sides but with the swing brake pedal on the '64-'66 models I've only seen it on the passenger side. I may have some spares since I recently sold my '64 Cruiser. I don't see how a wind up ant. could be used in a '64/'66 Cruiser w/the swing brake pedal. Rob in PA
                              Rob - If you come across your spares, I'd be very interested to know the color(s). I haven't had enough coffee yet to recall the name of my interior color, but the PO calls the upholstery brown mylar (looks like beige to me), with rose-ish, tan-ish door panels. How's that for precise? Thanks.
                              Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X