Question on 39 and 40 Champion grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 39 and 40 Champion grilles

I understand the center grilles are different, but are the side grilles the same for 39 and 40?
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Yes the side gills are different. They match the smaller bars of the 40 grill

Comment

pic of the '39 Champion here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1939-s...r-champion.htm

pic of my '40 Champion below in the sig-pic.

we report - you decide!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        pic of the '39 Champion here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1939-s...r-champion.htm

pic of my '40 Champion below in the sig-pic.

we report - you decide!
        Hey, that's my '39 Champion. Didn't even know it was there! Here two more current photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4166 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1678496 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4176 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1678497
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

So...do I have all '39 parts here? (Twelve slats on the side grilles. Eleven on the center grilles.) And do the parts interchange physically? IE: Someone wants to build a gasser-car and isn't worried about authenticity, would they fit both years?
          Attached Files
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
            So...do I have all '39 parts here? (Twelve slats on the side grilles. Eleven on the center grilles.) And do the parts interchange physically? IE: Someone wants to build a gasser-car and isn't worried about authenticity, would they fit both years?
            Yes those are all '39 only parts. The fastest way to tell the difference between '39 and '40 grilles is the spacing of the mesh. The side grilles would bolt on, but the center piece will not fit a '40 because it's taller. I wouldn't mix '39 sides with a '40 center though. They are the same but different and in my oppion kind of clash.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Note the difference on mine, which is correct for a '40:
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

But I have learned your side grilles are aftermarket, right? Horizontal bar across the middle is the giveaway.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  But I have learned your side grilles are aftermarket, right? Horizontal bar across the middle is the giveaway.
                  Honestly I'm not sure about the center bar, but it's a 1940 only grille either way. The left and right grille pieces will fit a '39, it's just the gaps between each bar is wider on a '39 than a '40.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Not quite Chris. The grille mounting holes (in the fenders) for the '39 are different than the '40. It would require drilling holes in the fenders in order to accommodate the '39 grilles. That is the reason the 1939 and 1940 Champion fenders carry different part numbers.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hey ; The cops ever pull you over for driving with them old plates . . .
                      They got me a coupla times with a warning for old plates . ( no ticket ) . But i did have the current plates with me inside the car though just in case ....

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                        Hey ; The cops ever pull you over for driving with them old plates . . .
                        They got me a coupla times with a warning for old plates . ( no ticket ) . But i did have the current plates with me inside the car though just in case ....
                        Indiana only requires a REAR plate, you can have whatever you want on the front. I've never had any trouble with it. The "real" plate issued to the car is just a regular, current Indiana plate. I didn't get Historical or anything. The 1940 plate is nothing more than a decoration. Besides that, just about every time an officer sees me driving Ely they usually just smile and wave. I know a lot of the guys on the Fire Dept. too, who also just smile and wave or say something along the line of "Hey Chris, ain't that car restored yet?!"
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                        X