Our Project Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Project Car

Hi to everyone. I wanted to post a picture of my wife's latest project. In July we purchased from an estate sale a 1959 Silver Hawk. First thing I did was went to the intranet and found all of you people, Studebaker Int and the Museum. Got to know some of the local Studebaker experts in my area. Then I ordered the shop man. chassis man and body book. The archivist at the museum told us that the car was white sand and a list of options and so on but the interesting part was that the car was to be shipped to Paris France with the owners manual in French. We are in the process of making a good clean driver car and will welcome all comments/advise from anyone here at SDC. So far we have taken the car completely apart and went through the mechanical part of the process. I figured as long as the body was off it was the best time to repair the rest. We must be having a great time with this old car because it takes most of every weekend it seems.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1737857Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03693.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1737858Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03692.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1737859Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03785.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1737860Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03817.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1737861Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03694.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1737862Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03809.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1737863 I am going to try to attach some photos to encourage some comments/advice.
    Last edited by RDWEAVER; 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM.

Well the picture thing worked kinda, not the way I had intended but you will get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
      Well the picture thing worked kinda, not the way I had intended but you will get the idea.
      They actually work quite well. It looks like you started with a car in pretty decent condition and decided to do a nice upgrade to the car.

Welcome to the forum and please keep posting as we live vicariously through the work of others.

Bob

Comment

Very nice. As Bob said we love to watch progress on projects. I also think it is really great that this is something your wife and you are doing! A family that Studebakers together, has a very full life!
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Great project. Plus, if the wife is involved, you get less resistance when you spend money and time on it. Good for everyone.
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice work - very impressive.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
            55 Speedster (in work)
            63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Avanti R2 (completed)
            85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
            89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Welcome! That looks like a nice Hawk to start with. You didn't mention joining SDC. You can do it from this site.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                Great project. Plus, if the wife is involved, you get less resistance when you spend money and time on it. Good for everyone.
                I have to confess it was her idea. I was not real excited about it untill I started learning about the Studebaker thing that is still very much alive today. But now I am "ALL IN"

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Welcome! That looks like a nice Hawk to start with. You didn't mention joining SDC. You can do it from this site.
                  We have joined and I saw our name listed in last months edition of Turning Wheels. A very nice publication I will say.

Comment

Thanks for posting. Found the French connection interesting...do you have the French owner`s manual, or are you saying it was shipped with the car originally but its no longer around? What equipment is on the car, engine 6 or 8, trans. type, rear end ratio? Just wondering as I've read that cars for export were equipped differently than cars for sale in America...also wonder why one was being sent to France fully assembled, weren't they assembled in Brussels or Antwerp, or was that a different time period? Regardless, have fun with your build, oh and btw, I sure wish my work space was as well lit as yours! Junior
                    Last edited by junior; 01-12-2013, 01:33 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Mighty nice car! I didn't know much about Studebakers when I first joined here either (exept that they were the most beautiful cars ever but that I've known since I was a kid, as seen in my profile picture) but now I'm mighty impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                        I have to confess it was her idea. I was not real excited about it untill I started learning about the Studebaker thing that is still very much alive today. But now I am "ALL IN"
                        Now that you have been bitten by the Studebaker Bug it won't be long before you will be looking for a second Stude.

Welcome to the both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                          Thanks for posting. Found the French connection interesting...do you have the French owner`s manual, or are you saying it was shipped with the car originally but its no longer around? What equipment is on the car, engine 6 or 8, trans. type, rear end ratio? Just wondering as I've read that cars for export were equipped differently than cars for sale in America...also wonder why one was being sent to France fully assembled, weren't they assembled in Brussels or Antwerp, or was that a different time period? Regardless, have fun with your build, oh and btw, I sure wish my work space was as well lit as yours! Junior
                          I do not have the French manual and your questions made me go dig up the copy of the final production order so I can answer you correctly. On the second read, the ship VIA reads DRIVE AWAY but the destination reads Paris France. It is a 59V C6 REG 8 Cyl HAWK CPE. OD TRANS,75HEAD,POWER KIT I am not sure what a power kit was. HD FRAME AC 2885 CLIMATIZER AC 2904 CLOCK AC 2943 WINDS AC 2886 ANTEN AC 2906 RADIO ONE HALF PINT P 5911 WHITE SIDEWALLS. The car Still has two large tie down D rings bolted under the frame rails about in line with the firewall. I am wondering who would drive a new Studebaker away from South Bend to arrive in Paris France? Possibly military personell? If they were on duty over there, but why the manual in French? I am sure I couldnt read it. And somehow the car ended back here in the states. Food for thought.

Comment

Good luck with the car. The first car I had was a "hand-me-down" 61 White Hawk with black interior that I started driving in 1965. Check out the power pack mentioned on the build sheet. Your car looks to have a supercharger hood on it. Its great that your wife is involved with it also. My wife humors me with my interest in Studebakers and the Avanti I have.
                            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I assumed POWER KIT was a 4bbl carb but don't know this for sure. the original engine is no longer with the car. It is a supercarger hood but also assumed it was from some other vehicle. There was no supercharger in 59 on a silver Hawk was there??? Please chime in and teach me some more about this car.

Comment

Working...
                              X