Sill plate restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sill plate restoration

Could use a little help. And yes, I have searched this site on cleaners, stainless restoration and other options. I would like to re-furbish my original sill plates on my 50 stude four door. I've tried acetone, metal wire buffer wheel, soap and water, etc,etc...and can't afford $239.00 for a new pair from Studebaker Int.($478 on mine). Any help for today's project would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Rick

I believe they are aluminum. Probably the best you will do is to start with 00 steel wool, then 0000 steel wool, then a good aluminum compound and polish.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think just a good metal cleaner and then a metal polish like Mothers chrome polish or similar. High polishing will show flaws, so be careful. Nothing is going to make 63 year old aluminum look new after all those years of skuffing and corrosion from the elements. You could also contact a powder coater to see if the plates could be freshened up to look good that way. If you're just looking for something to look nice, you can buy stainless steel in different widths and thicknesses, cut, bend and drill to fit.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

i've used "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish" on several vehicles, including the 40's sill plates. also used the "Mothers Power Ball" and a "Dremel" polisher on small parts to remove the polish.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
        X