HELP! My father passed away and left a 1962 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My father passed away and left a 1962 Studebaker

I am new to the Studebaker world. Don't know anything about them. My father has kept a 1962 Studebaker Lark, 4 door sedan in the garage for the last 40 years. Despite being garaged, this car seems toast to me...rust, flat tires, doesn't run. Does this car have any value? My father's passing was unexpected and I am helping my mother get rid of things. Should I just have it towed? Would it be a "parts" car and how do I let people that are interested in it know it's available? My mom just wants it gone asap. I will attach a few pics i took today and if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thank you,
    Paul
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1737855Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1737856

Your '62 Lark has a much better chance of the Car or the parts as a parts car being desirable and saleable IF it is a V-8 Engined car.

You could give us the Serial Number from the drivers' door post and or the numbers and letters from the Tag on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood.
    Both can numbers tell us if it is a in-line 6 Cyl. or a V8.

Also, it's condition may not be as bad as your opinion of it. It would be good to have a Car knowledgeable person have a look, top and bottom.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Studebaker Drivers Club is a large group. I'm sure there are members near you in St. Louis who can take a look and tell you what you have. Watch for more replies here in the next day.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I bet therebis someone in the club close by who could give you an honest opinion of what you have. I am about 3 hours away and would be willing to take a look, if no one else closer can.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Paul,
          My first impression, based upon the two pictures you have posted: car looks very straight and unmolested. Whatever model or engine, it's going to have value to the Studebaker community. A hundred dollars worth of cleaning will return a thousand dollars worth of value. Find four used tires that will hold air. Take more pictures, especially of any area you think has issues.
          We are accustomed to the most predominant rust faults in these sedans and have resurrected many that were probably in significantly worse condition than your example.
          Details? Serial number from drivers door post, body tag from right firewall underhood. These two identifications will reveal the most about your value.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

PAul, if your mother just wants it GONE, we should be able to find a Stude person to grant that wish. And it would be even easier for it to be gone if you weren't looking for some "return" for it. Think about it - your dad kept it from the scrap man because he cared - right? I say - let it go to an interested Studeebaker sort JUST to honor your dad's desires.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

How soon is ASAP? No way it should end up at the scrappers. If you cant find anyone to accept it within your time frame and the price is reasonable I'd take it. I dont really need another project but that looks like a few days would have it back running and driving. I have been wanting a decent v8 Lark for a daily driver though.

get us some pics of the interior and under the hood and we'll be able to tell you just about everything about it.
              http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Paul: PM (Private Message) sent with contact information for Milt Yoder there in St. Louis. He may be able to assist. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dude DON'T SCRAP THAT!

Comment

I will be glad to help however I can. We have a Studebaker local chapter meeting on this Sunday. I sent a PM with my contact info.
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I'm in St.Louis too, and would be glad to look at it for any prospective party.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have talked with Paul and members of our local chapter will be going over after our meeting on Sunday to help however we can
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                          I have talked with Paul and members of our local chapter will be going over after our meeting on Sunday to help however we can
                          'Great, Milt. Sounds like a plan. 'Glad you guys are in the immediate area. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW I'd love to have it as a second project.....There is no way I would sell it without checking all options--it may be worth more than what you think

Comment

Bet your Lark would clean up nice! Sure hope someone near you in the SDC snaps it up!
                              What ever you do don't send it to China!
                              Bill
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                              X