Gas Tank question - where to buy new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank question - where to buy new

I have a 63 Lark and want to replace the tank. I want something that is safe with todays fuels and can be modified for a large fuel line. Any recommendations?
    54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
    59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
    60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
    60 Lark
    63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Originally posted by wheels777 View Post
    I have a 63 Lark and want to replace the tank. I want something that is safe with todays fuels and can be modified for a large fuel line. Any recommendations?
    New? Good luck although in all fairness; locating a decent 1962-66 Lark type tank and having it sealed/modified shouldn't be that difficult.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You may have a shot for a NOS Studebaker tank from Studebaker International.
      If you can get your hands on a Studebaker parts manual and find the Studebaker part number for the tank you need and call Jim.
      You may get lucky.
      Bill
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

You want to replace the tank. That means you have a tank. So far, so good.
        You will be very lucky if SI has any left.
        Your existing tank is repairable. It will be as safe with todays fuels as any tank you will find.
        If you are going to modify with a large fuel line, why not start with the one you have? Stude gas tanks no longer grow on trees.
        Why the larger fuel line?
        If this will be a pro-stocker, why not get a totally new cell?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have an nos 62-66 tank powder coated black that I don't need.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Why the larger fuel line?
            If this will be a pro-stocker, why not get a totally new cell?
            An engine is a mechanical device that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy. The more chemical energy you get into the system, the more mechanical energy you can produce. The original tank has a very small outlet that would restrict the fuel flow and therefore limit the mechanical output.

Pro Stock is very competitive and modern aerodynamics force the competitors to utlize modern cars. A Studebaker would not be competitive, and is not what we are building. An original tank with a larger outlet is all that we need for the performance level we are building the car for.

You want to replace the tank. That means you have a tank. So far, so good.
            You will be very lucky if SI has any left.
            Your existing tank is repairable. It will be as safe with todays fuels as any tank you will find.
            If you are going to modify with a large fuel line, why not start with the one you have? Stude gas tanks no longer grow on trees.
            Yes we have a tank and it appears to be in good shape. However, I have found that it is better to start with a new one, rather then cleaning an old one, when planning modifications. I have had tanks cleaned before (10-15), and afterwards the seam has leaked (rare, but it happened twice). The coating are barely adaquate and on three occasions I have seen the coating system fail. By starting with a new tank, the odds of success are much higher than starting with an old original. I thought this would be a good place to ask about new ones, since many Stude owners are rather resourceful and the cars are relatively popular. So, I thought new ones might be available.

rockne10, It's stupid comments like yours that help turn young people away from older cars.
            60 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
              I have an nos 62-66 tank powder coated black that I don't need.
              Klif
              Thank you for offering up the tank. I am going to try to locate one with out the coating because I need to weld on the tank. Thanks.
              60 Lark

Comment

Hey Wheels. I had the inlet changed from the straw Studebaker used to a 3/8" line.All they had to do is melt off the old solder around the opening,enlarge it and then slide a new piece of pipe into it and resolder. The radiator shop I used to work at handled it on both my Studebakers. I also believe I have a spare gas tank used from a 63 Lark. All you have to do is pour a gallon of muratic acid in it and slosh it around till the insides are clean and rinse it out with water. Then add water and Dawn dish soap. Slosh that around,fill tank completely with water and let it sit awhile, then rinse with clean water. That should remove all the crud. There are many previous posts here on cleaning the insides out. I have referenced them and used some of the ideas found within. Don't be put off on a used tank. If you don't use it right away after that it will surface rust so plan on spraying it with light oil inside for storage. If you do not smell any vapors of gas after cleaning it should be ok to solder or weld. I have had no problem but just use common sense. Are you planning to sump it or something? Mine never starves for fuel using the stock but enlarged line location in my tank. I have a supercharged small block in my Lark. Lets hear some details man!!
                Last edited by AKAchamptrucking; 01-12-2013, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wheels777 View Post

rockne10, It's stupid comments like yours that help turn young people away from older cars.
                  Actually it is comments like this that turn people away from this forum. He simply offered a sincere suggestion. No need to respond in a rude and condescending manner. I was going to offer a suggestion for a possible source, but rather than risk having my post be thought of as stupid and a danger to the hobby, I will refrain.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    Actually it is comments like this that turn people away from this forum. He simply offered a sincere suggestion. No need to respond in a rude and condescending manner. I was going to offer a suggestion for a possible source, but rather than risk having my post be thought of as stupid and a danger to the hobby, I will refrain.
                    Yes I agree with Pat on this nothing stupid about what rockne10 said or the they way he said it, you ask for help on the forum so read it and respect it or don't post, it someone gets out of line with a post or an answer it will be handled.
                    Last edited by showbizkid; 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM. Reason: formatting
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

The problem with the written word is that it does not convey tone of voice or the facial expression. Many attempts at humor are taken wrong when a person does not start from the same perspective. That's probably why people use emoticons in their emails/posts.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                        Hey Wheels. I had the inlet changed from the straw Studebaker used to a 3/8" line.All they had to do is melt off the old solder around the opening,enlarge it and then slide a new piece of pipe into it and resolder. The radiator shop I used to work at handled it on both my Studebakers. I also believe I have a spare gas tank used from a 63 Lark. All you have to do is pour a gallon of muratic acid in it and slosh it around till the insides are clean and rinse it out with water. Then add water and Dawn dish soap. Slosh that around,fill tank completely with water and let it sit awhile, then rinse with clean water. That should remove all the crud. There are many previous posts here on cleaning the insides out. I have referenced them and used some of the ideas found within. Don't be put off on a used tank. If you don't use it right away after that it will surface rust so plan on spraying it with light oil inside for storage. If you do not smell any vapors of gas after cleaning it should be ok to solder or weld. I have had no problem but just use common sense. Are you planning to sump it or something? Mine never starves for fuel using the stock but enlarged line location in my tank. I have a supercharged small block in my Lark. Lets hear some details man!!
                        Thanks AKAchamptrucking! I need the volume and want to avoid the sump. I have installed sumps on a bunch of Chevelle, Camaro and 55-57 Chevy's. After cleaning and modifying 10-15 of them, I had 2 that had issues. So it has been my preference to modify new tanks and have not had any issues on the last 20+. The cleaning cost at our local radiator shop is nearly 50% of the costs of a new tank for the common cars I noted. If there was a Stude tank available, it would have been the preferred starting point. My tank actually looks to be in decent condition. But 31 years of sitting does a lot to hurt them. I did not know the factory opening was soldered in. I will look at that after I clean it. Again, Thanks AKA.
                        60 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                          If your comment is an answer to the question about sourcing a tank...please let me know. If it questioning the sizing of the line because I'm building a "Pro Stocker"...I thank you for your restraint. (I think this is where a smiley face is supposed to be added to indicate that the comment was an attempt at message board humor.) The following is the best I can do
                          60 Lark

Comment

Let's all relax. Pat and Bob, appreciate your concern but I am uninjured. It sounds like Andrew is going to try cleaning his original tank anyway. Maybe he will even show up at the Studebaker York Swap Meet.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Let's all relax. Pat and Bob, appreciate your concern but I am uninjured. It sounds like Andrew is going to try cleaning his original tank anyway. Maybe he will even show up at the Studebaker York Swap Meet.
                              We are shooting for the Swap Meet. It may be the maiden voyage. Looking forward to seeing you.
                              60 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X