Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"It's the same 289 in the Mustang"..ugh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's the same 289 in the Mustang"..ugh..

Just now on South Beach Classics on Velocity,, Nice 1962 GT,,lifts hood..says.."All yellow..the same 289 they put in the Mustang"

Uh..no Ted..

Maybe a rerun..but never saw this

But certainly have heard it before..
    Last edited by parts2; 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM.

Somebody must be half blind, it would only have a little Yellow on the Valve covers not "ALL", and if it was a Ford they would be Ford Blue. I just hate when non-car Guys try to pretend to be one, even on TV!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Has anyone produced a side by side comparison of the two engines? That would make a great presentation. Both engines on stands or a bench with spec charts and side by side photos.

I have owned both but not at the same time.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No real resemblance but the 289 cu in..

Comment

And yet another generation is introduced to "the 289 lie".
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Easy to point out that the Ford distributor is in the front and the Stude has it in the back. Plus the Stude motor is physically larger. The Ford has 4 visible exhaust ports and the Stude only has 3. The Ford intake manifold seals the lifter valley and includes the thermostat housing. Studebaker has a separate cover for the lifter valley and the thermostat is in the water pump. We could discuss the cylinder numbering too, but that is hard to point out.

Visually it would be much easier to confuse a Ford 272-292-312 with a Studebaker V8.
            Last edited by Pat Dilling; 01-10-2013, 07:51 PM.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

....you mean my R2 motor isn't made by Ford???? ;(

Comment

Why not really freak them out and tell them Studebaker had the 289 first..... and that Ford used Studebaker engines..... ???
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There is a fellow that has an open tubbed hot rod that appears at shows/cruise-ins from time to time. While discussing the car a spectator he told me he thought the engine in the rod ws an Olds. I told him it was a Studebaker V8. He didn't believe me, so I suggested he ask the owner who had just walked up to his rod. Then he believed! As discussed, the FORD ID comes up all of the time, also.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I hear the same thing at shows and I have decided that these are the same folks that tell me my Avanti was msde in Canada. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

Holy Cow, don't get me started on how many times, "car guys" that stop me at gas stations know far more than me, about my own car. Its a Hawk, has a Ford engine, made in Canada, went 150 mph in 2nd gear in his Uncles Hawk, and the one I loved the most:

A guy tried to get my goat by telling me he once had a Studebaker. He ran it out of water, blew the engine, then pushed it into a ditch and walked away, telling me just how worthless a car it was. I simply told him, that's too bad, cuz had he kept it, it would be worth thousands of dollars, and besides, all he did by destroying it was to make mine more rare and valuable. What a douche.
                      sals54

Comment

My uncle had a Studebaker that was made on the American Motors assembly line and had a Ford motor in it.

Comment

In poor old Teds defense...he did say on one program that he knew absolutely nothing about engines or mechanics and that he only found them, bought them and sold them. Of course he should have known there was more than one 289 engine out there. Maybe he was brain dazzled from looking at Robin walking around.....whoeee.

Comment

A few years ago I pushed my Hawk out of the garage so I could clean up a nasty oil spill underneath it. When I was cleaning a man approached me asking if my Lincoln was for sale. I was a bit confused at first, but then realized he was referring to my Hawk. I told the man that the car is a Studebaker and it isnt for sale, but he still was interested in it so we started to talk about it. He asked me what motor was under the hood and I said a 259 V8 but I was looking to upgrade it to a 289 V8. He looked at me funny and then said "no, its a 260 V8" and then proceeded to tell me that Ford built the engines for Studebaker. I tried to convince him that he was wrong and the motor looked nothing like a ford 260,289,302, but he would not listen and was sure he was right. He eventually pointed at my Mustang knowing it was a 302 because of the 5.0 emblems on the side and asked to compare the two engines. When I popped the hood on the Mustang, he finally realized he was wrong and looked a little red in the face.

Comment

When I just bought my -55 sedan a guy who drives his -65 Cadillac every day of the year (& claims he knows all there is to know 'bout US cars) asked me what make it was & so I told him it's a Studebaker & he said "I never heard about it"!
                              (& a few years back we had a -62 Savoy & a guy came up & said "oh, a Valiant!"... as if there wasn't even a size-difference.)
                              I think these folx grow on special trees... or they might just have a very thin memory-bank in their heads. Or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X