Questions about Studedebaker Co-Operator answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Studedebaker Co-Operator answer

In the latest turning wheels there is a question about a 59 Silver Hawk. Dwain says it would have a Dana 23 rear end? I thought they used a 27 with the 6 cylinder cars and a 44 with the V8 cars? He also talks about the possibility of a GM front suspension from a Chevelle because it would not need to be narrowed. I was under the impression that to look right any GM front suspension would need to be narrowed. I have seen pictures of some that were not narrowed and they just didn't look right.

Alex

Dana Spicer Differentials 23, 27 & 44.

Hi Alex, I don't know about the Chevy issue, but I do know what is going on with the ''59 Silver Hawk. You have to remember that '59's only had 259 Engines.

And after 1958 they went cheaper on the Diff's, they only used the 44's for 289's, and Wagons. Most hawks do have 44's because after '59 they all had 289's. Of course I am talking about South Bend Cars.

The non-Wagon '59 Larks actually have Model 23 on 259's and 6 Cyl. and later they changed to 27's.

You are right about '51 to '58's though, all V8's had 44's.

Maroon = added by Update. 01/10/13 3:04 PM
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Alex -

Been a while..what-ya been up to ?

My 59 Lark has a 44 in it. Actually it has a posi. 44 in it. Possible because it's a wagon, not sure. I've been told all wagons had 44's in them... Both of my 54 wagons had 44's in them and both were flathead 6's.

Cars...no idea..! Maybe like the frame material thickness deal.

BUT nothing is set in stone.. I recall seeing a "new" Chevette (yea, the little car) at a dealer years ago. It had the Chevy, "Chevette" badges on one side and the Pontiac T-1000 badges on the other side. Out of the factory that way. The friend that worked there, said the Chevy rep. that they could not sell it that way, no matter, even if the prospective buyer wanted it that way.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        /Cut/My 59 Lark has a 44 in it. Actually it has a posi. 44 in it. Possible because it's a wagon, not sure. I've been told all wagons had 44's in them... Both of my 54 wagons had 44's in them and both were flathead 6's./Cut/
        Mike, I guess you did not read Post #2.

StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X