Golden Hawk Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Hawk Prices

Over the past several years there has been several "astonishing" prices paid for Golden Hawks. Hemmings has a 58 GH listed at $165,000, for the "...knowledgeable collector..." Well "exxxxcuse" me. Several years ago I set out to get and restore a 56, 57 and 58 GH but could not find a suitable 58, I guess I should have looked a little harder. Ken, Deltaville, Va.

It's about time!!!! Mustangs (Shelby's) have been selling for that and more for years.....a freaking glorified Falcon!!!!
    The Golden Hawk is certainly the equivalent of the Hawk line.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

$165,000 is a bit much, even for a GH. Actually any "knowledgeable collector" wouldn't even consider that. Most Golden Hawks I've seen at $50,000 tops. Personally, my preference would be the '55 President Speedster. But it's such a subjective thing.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Over the past several years there has been several "astonishing" prices paid for Golden Hawks.
        More like two or three "astonishing" prices paid for Golden Hawks. Hemmings asking prices and TV auction prices bear no relationship to real world prices; 99% of Golden Hawks change hands at much, much less.

It's about time!!!! Mustangs (Shelby's) have been selling for that and more for years.....a freaking glorified Falcon!!!!
        X2 - I've never understood why GT350s bring crazy money either. However, those in glass houses. Remember Road & Track referred to the Avanti as "a Lark in a guilded cage." and the same could have been retroactively applied to the GH.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Ken, 57 Golden Hawks are clearly the post war Stude garnering the highest prices out there. I just heard of another individual who is restoring a 57 GH just to sell it at Barrett Jackson next year and make some money.

That said, I just decided to sell my 57 GH. Solid as a rock car that was being restored but the owner passed away. It has a mod to the roof that can be redone or keep it as is. I will let this go for a really good deal as I don't have the space to hang onto it any longer (this car was mentioned for the first time in another post the other day so hasn't been advertised anywhere). I live pretty close to you so this would be fairly convenient if we work a deal. If you or anyone else out there has an interest, please let me know.

Thanks Jeff

Comment

Yeah, Ive been noticing high prices as well. I saw a Golden Hawk sell for 99,000 on Barret Jackson a year ago. Im hoping that people are starting to get interested in these old Studes. The Golden Hawk is pretty exotic compared to most cars of the same era, its about time it stands out of the crowd.

Comment

Very good that the value of these Golden Hawks is increasing.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                Ken, 57 Golden Hawks are clearly the post war Stude garnering the highest prices out there. I just heard of another individual who is restoring a 57 GH just to sell it at Barrett Jackson next year and make some money.

That said, I just decided to sell my 57 GH. Solid as a rock car that was being restored but the owner passed away. It has a mod to the roof that can be redone or keep it as is. I will let this go for a really good deal as I don't have the space to hang onto it any longer (this car was mentioned for the first time in another post the other day so hasn't been advertised anywhere). I live pretty close to you so this would be fairly convenient if we work a deal. If you or anyone else out there has an interest, please let me know.
                Thanks Jeff
                Jeff, thanks but at 71 I'm not looking for any other cars as I have to many now. A few years ago I had an opportunity to buy one in Montclair but did not. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  The Golden Hawk is certainly the equivalent of the Hawk line.
                  What you just said is what I have been saying for a long time. To many Fords and Chevys at the auctions going for way to much. Mecum auctions has the same model years over and over, gee wiz how many 69 Camero's did they build? 4 or 5 million?

Comment

It is nice to see the Golden Hawks getting their due respect.

I can certainly see why the Shelby GT 350 Mustangs, especially the early ones, bring a high price. The Mustang started the "Pony Car" class of cars. Then you have an iconic motor sports innovator that Ford contracted with to build a very limited number of special cars for performance and racing. These cars were a force in Trans-Am racing and had the heritage of the Shelby Cobra behind them. There were only 562 produced in 65 and less than 2400 in 66. I remember there was a young guy in our town that had a 66. It was a real beast, you could hear him coming a couple blocks away.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
                      What you just said is what I have been saying for a long time. To many Fords and Chevys at the auctions going for way to much. Mecum auctions has the same model years over and over, gee wiz how many 69 Camero's did they build? 4 or 5 million?
                      GM built 243,095 1969 Camaros (NO "Cameros" [sic] <G>).
                      Of course you can now build/buy a brand new 1969 Camaro.
                      I have a friend that is currently looking to ship (enclosed) his 1969 Camaro convertible from Fishkill, NY to Orlando, FL.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It seems like when people (non-Stude) realized that the '57 Golden came from the factory with a supercharger......the value went up! (in their eyes)

Comment

"Glorified Falcon"?
                          "Bring crazy money"? Sounds like some of us have never owned or driven a GT-350.
                          However, I do agree on the "it's about time. I guess if I had never been exposed to a 53 Stude coupe, I would't understand my craziness either. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                            "Glorified Falcon"?
                            "Bring crazy money"? Sounds like some of us have never owned or driven a GT-350.
                            However, I do agree on the "it's about time. I guess if I had never been exposed to a 53 Stude coupe, I would't understand my craziness either. LOL
                            I have restored close to twenty....(including GT 350's GT 350 Hertz(s), GT 500(s), GT 500 KR (s), Boss 302(s), and a couple of Boss 429's so I can qualify that they are not all that different under the outside sheetmetal (from a Falcon).
                            By their logic.....an Avanti should bring 200K. After all they have a racing history behind them.....by a well known racing celebrity. (Granatelli)
                            Last edited by bezhawk; 01-09-2013, 06:11 PM.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think that most people here are not factoring in restoration costs.

IF one starts with a good car - and has bodywork done, paint, chroming, motor rebuild, interior and everything else done by someone else - and buy some new parts - $60K -$70K is easily spent on a showcar.

The only way to spend much less is to do the work yourself if you are capable.

Retail markups can range from say 15% to more than 200%. The market value is driven by the market.

If the market is there, and someone has taken the time to restore a car, is it not fair to expect a similar return for restoration efforts?

Properly restored Studebakers are way underpriced and a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                              X