Check out the '65 Wagonaire in Stevensville, Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the '65 Wagonaire in Stevensville, Maryland

Does anyone on the forum live close enough (and have the time) to check out a car for me? I'm in Los Angeles and the car sounds really good, but I hate to take a chance sight unseen.
    The car is a '65 Wagonaire in Stevensville, Maryland. Here is a link to see it on Ebay:

Thanks VERY much!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Oh, that one. It has been talked about here many times for Months! It looks like it would be a good driver for the right price and it may have come down a lot. If you don't mind all of the mods and the low trim level, upgraded Commander.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Darn, Howard. I think it was previously for sale in Northern California.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It started out with a BUY IT NOW of $9900. Buy it now was missed. Current bit is 9800. Looks good to me.

Comment

If you are still looking for someone to check this out your best bet might be to try John Poulous. He is on the forum as JDP,his website is http://stude.com/ which has his # and this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...n-poulos-(jdp) has a direct email. I don't know if he can or will but you should check with him as he is very close to the car AND since he has bought and resold countless Studes you probably would be hard pressed to find someone better to inspect it for you. If it were me and I was in your situation I would offer to make it worth his while to do it both with the high price of the car AND all the long distance horror stories you see on here.

Comment

Excellent advice. Thanks Hank.

Comment

If you don't get this one, the SNM is going to be putting a 1965 Wagonaire on eBay, but it will need more.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Autoweek noticed it.

Comment

Lesson to be learned. If you want it hit the BIN. $9900 < $12000

Comment

It looks great! I missed out on one a couple of years ago and have regretted ever since. Still looking for my first Stude, just not sure Wagonaire should be my first one. I have read that these have trouble getting out of their own way on the highway. Anyone drive these as a daily or weekend driver? I really do like the paint scheme too, don't know if that is original or not. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark_Looker View Post
                        It looks great! I missed out on one a couple of years ago and have regretted ever since. Still looking for my first Stude, just not sure Wagonaire should be my first one. I have read that these have trouble getting out of their own way on the highway. Anyone drive these as a daily or weekend driver? I really do like the paint scheme too, don't know if that is original or not. Thanks.
                        I had a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire as an everyday driver for nine years. It wasn't as fast as some lighter Studebakers, but it did fine with a 289. The 283 should be about equal.
                        No, that is not an original paint scheme.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Lark_Looker View Post
                          See Post #2, that Paint is the most part of the "Modified" condition. They came with all the Stainless and Aluminum Trim around the windows and the through the door handles side trim on Daytonas, and these '64-'65 Commanders have less but no paint was ever anything except 100% Solid Colors.

About the lack of power, the only time that was mentioned is if it is equipped with a "6" Cylinder. The 259, 289 or Jet Thrust Avanti Engine on '64's or the GM 283 with the right rear axle ratio has no problem keeping up with the Hondas.
                          A '63-'64 Studebaker Standard 289 has 305 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, which is what makes for low and Medium RPM pulling Power and more than enough speed.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmm. No mention or pictures of the headliner. Not a deal-breaker, but we here know the issues with Wagonaire headliners.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the info. After showing it to the wife last night, she really liked the sliding roof, we decided to bid on it. Unfortunately we were not the winning bid this morning, and I think she was more excited than I was about biding on it. I hope the new owner enjoys it! Well now I have a dilemma, I have been looking for a decent Lark for the last couple of years but now the "Boss" wants a Wagonaire. I have explained that they are low numbers and rarely come up for sale but I may have to put the Lark on the back burner until I exhaust my abilities looking for the new "family" car.

Comment

Working...
                              X