Avanti 1004 to be auctioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 1004 to be auctioned

I just say this in an ad...the #4 Avanti, an R-2 automatic, is going up for auction at Gooding & Co in Scottsdale.

Estimate is $50-60,000 and being sold with no reserve.

A couple of interesting points...note that it doesn't have a grille, and the radiator surround area is body color not black (the topic of a post here recently).

Also, they call it a " Benchmark Raymond Loewy Mid-Century Concept".
    Mid Century modern seems to be the new "in" period for homes and furniture.
    Could the Avanti's time finally be coming after people wondering why it wasn't more collectable for decades?
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

According to my email from the seller, it sold at no reserve for a final bid of $74,800 a record price for a R2 Avanti.
    The car will now reside in Michigan, its new owners also own a Avanti II.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      I just say this in an ad...the #4 Avanti, an R-2 automatic, is going up for auction at Gooding & Co in Scottsdale.

A couple of interesting points...note that it doesn't have a grille, and the radiator surround area is body color not black (the topic of a post here recently).

Also, they call it a " Benchmark Raymond Loewy Mid-Century Concept".
      Mid Century modern seems to be the new "in" period for homes and furniture.
      Could the Avanti's time finally be coming after people wondering why it wasn't more collectable for decades?
      Avanti air intake opening surround (for radiator) should be painted body color if one cares to be 'correct'.

Comment

JBOYLE observes: "Could the Avanti's time finally be coming after people wondering why it wasn't more collectable for decades?"

That may be, Joe. But what boggles my mind is that the Avanti didn't make the list of 100 best cars in the recent 100th issue of HCC magazine. In fact, the only Stude to make the team is the 53 C-Ks. Meanwhile, THREE Nash/AMC cars are included!
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

According to the add it has a inline V8..................
          Jack White
          Charlotte,NC
          North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Avanti air intake opening surround (for radiator) should be painted body color if one cares to be 'correct'.
            Your statement may be opinionated! We can't have that.

I think 98% of us would disagree with that.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

98% of us would disagree that my statement was opinionated??

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post

It should not have a grill.
                The grills were a late running change and seen mostly on '64 models unless added later.

The believe the inner surround area should be black.
                I have a great local news press photo showing one of the first dozen being delivered new from dealer, to new owner.
                It's a clear photo taken from low front, clearly showing the black opening while the dealer is handing the keys to Oliver Yanko in Bellingham, WA.
                I will try to locate the photo.
                This difference of opinion has gone on for a long time and I'm sure someone may still try arguing the dealer may have done it!
                Did the new Avanti Authenticity book Greg Prince worked on say body color?

James
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

TO: Bellingham Studenut,---- Black and white photo? .....You were probably seeing a shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    TO: Bellingham Studenut,---- Black and white photo? .....You were probably seeing a shadow.
                    No shadow, it's a high resolution photo taken about 2 feet from the opening.
                    Paint lines are clearly visable without shadow.

James
                    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                    Bellingham, WA.

Comment

To: Bellingham Studenut,------Well, I guess the debate goes on, but I must say that I crawled over, under, and around a few Avantis being delivered as new cars in early '63, and ALL exterior body panels were
                      painted the Avanti exterior paint code body color. A 'blacked out' air intake simply is not correct. (I'm not saying whether it may or may not look better done that way, but it definitely isn't what Studebaker had in mind.)

Comment

Hi All..
                        MY dad and his 2 brothers were Studebaker Dealers in Detroit.. And in fact I worked the Studebaker display at the Detroit Auto Show in 62.. The air intake areas were NOT painted on the early cars.. We sold our share (basically all we could get) of Avanti's in 63 and none had the air intakes painted.. In fact I lost 3 orders for cars as the folks waited for months with no delivery in sight!
                        I can speak in full certainty that area was NOT painted black but was body colored..
                        Ron Husak
                        Ron Husak
                        Conifer, CO
                        Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
                        63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Originally posted by ronhusak View Post
                          Hi All..
                          MY dad and his 2 brothers were Studebaker Dealers in Detroit.. And in fact I worked the Studebaker display at the Detroit Auto Show in 62.. The air intake areas were NOT painted on the early cars.. We sold our share (basically all we could get) of Avanti's in 63 and none had the air intakes painted.. In fact I lost 3 orders for cars as the folks waited for months with no delivery in sight!
                          I can speak in full certainty that area was NOT painted black but was body colored..
                          Ron Husak
                          I am (obviously) in complete agreement with Your observation. Thank You for this rather solid "I was there" posting. (But still, of course, the debate will go on!!)

Comment

So where did you PULL 98% from ? I remember hearing from two people that looked at new Avantis and were body color ALL around !
                            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well, memories of folks who were there say body color. My only experience with an R2 was a 5,000 mile car which came out of storage 43 years later. pictures clearly show black. If it was originally body color, someone during its first 5,000 miles took it down to bare fiberglass and painted it black. Stone chips had no body color under the black and believe me, I spent a lot of time and knew every chip on that car during my tenure as its caretaker. I have many pictures and not working from memory. This was a February 1963 vehicle. Truly a time capsule car. It's hard to believe someone would take the time to strip body color before blacking it out. So, at best, Studebaker did it both ways. Direct examination and evidence shows at some point the grille area was black from the factory. Memory of folks who had direct observation says body color.
                              Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt
                              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X