Studebaker story in today's Toronto Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker story in today's Toronto Star

For those of you in southern Ontario who have access to the Toronto Star newspaper, in today's Wheels section is a half page article which I'm sure you will enjoy. It's on page W8. You can also access the story on the web at www.wheels.ca. In the box "Learn more" type in "Studebaker" and you will find the article. While there are a few inaccuracies, this article will certainly generate much interest about Studebaker.

Stu Chapman

Lovely piece Stu, gee if only Studebaker hadn't purchased Packard we may have had funds for better cars LOL.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
      Lovely piece Stu, gee if only Studebaker hadn't purchased Packard we may have had funds for better cars LOL.
      Actually John, Packard purchased Studebaker.
      Stu

Comment

Interesting, Stu; thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't ask you to edit it; it's clearly implied that 1960-1964 Studebaker convertibles were not assembled in Hamilton and, of course, their entire reference to the Packard merger is exactly backwards from what actually happened!

Nonetheless, worth a read. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
          Actually John, Packard purchased Studebaker.
          Stu
          Thanks Stu, I knew that and was being a little Sarcastic which is hard to do in print.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks for posting Stu.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks Stu. Good read even though they did mix up the Packard deal.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Interesting, Stu; thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't ask you to edit it; it's clearly implied that 1960-1964 Studebaker convertibles were not assembled in Hamilton and, of course, their entire reference to the Packard merger is exactly backwards from what actually happened!

Nonetheless, worth a read. BP
                As I noted, there were inaccuracies but I didn't feel it necessary to point these out to our members who will obviously pick them up. Frankly, I don't remember the 1979 interview from which I was quoted, but then that was 34 years ago. It's great that major media still recognizes us.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

As I noted, there were inaccuracies but I didn't feel it necessary to point these out to our members who will obviously pick them up. Frankly, I don't remember the 1979 interview from which I was quoted, but then that was 34 years ago. It's great that major media still recognizes us.
                  Stu Chapman
                  Stu: Did Hamilton assemble "Lark" convertibles all five of the later years? (1960-1961-1962-1963-1964) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Stu: Did Hamilton assemble "Lark" convertibles all five of the later years? (1960-1961-1962-1963-1964) BP
                    Is this a trick question Bob? I joined the company in 63 and we were building Daytona convertibles in 63 and 64. I believe we built Lark convertibles in 60, 61 and 62.
                    Stu Chapman

Comment

I decided to go back and do a thorough comparison with the web-based story and the actual version that was published in the Toronto Star and realized that, in the editing process, certain material was removed. While the erroneous reference to convertibles not being built in Hamilton was still there, they had in fact removed the reference to Packard buying Studebaker. The published story still incorrectly refers to the last car being a "Lark" Cruiser. However the general public would likely never know the exact details so we should be happy we're still receiving this amount of publicity.
                      Stu Chapman

Comment

Is this a trick question Bob? I joined the company in 63 and we were building Daytona convertibles in 63 and 64. I believe we built Lark convertibles in 60, 61 and 62.
                        Stu Chapman
                        No, Stu; not a trick; an honest question. I know you weren't there earlier, but thought you'd know if they had built convertibles there all five of those model years. (I would think so, but didn't know for sure and was just curious.) BP

Comment

Working...
                        X