Any SKYTOP GTs out there? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any SKYTOP GTs out there? UPDATE

I just got the production order in the mail today. Sadly, not listed on the factory order. Its an original CA car that apparently spent its entire life here in Northern CA. The Skytop almost certainly was a dealer installed item, as it has all the earmarks of being done as per factory specs that I've seen on other Skytop cars. The headliner is still in very good condition, as is the Skytop itself. I'm prepping it for ebay, but will not attempt to do any extreme work on the car. It already runs and drives and stops decently. Needs some cosmetics which I will leave for the new owner. Wish me luck, eh?

I just picked up a SKYTOP GT Hawk. Its a 62 with a 4 speed trans. Some rust, but overall, a decent looking car. I checked out the top and its intact and the mechanism works. Even the headliner is still good with no rips or holes. Pics are coming soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sals54; 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: PIX Added
    sals54

Wow! That's quite the find! Be sure to send the info to the Skytop Registry!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      .... Pics are coming soon.
      Good Grief!...not that any of us could be accused of being impatient...but it has been a whole hour since you posted...and no pics yet!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Didn't happen without pics. I call shenanigans!
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I remember a discussion a couple years ago about a Hawk that had a skytop. It was done by a guy named McKeehan back in the 60's. It was for sale in FL that prompted the discussion. Not a GT tho, as I remember.

Mark

Comment

Sorry about the pix, or lack thereof, but the weather went south and its currently under a tarp. Still on the trailer, but tarped. Here's some more juicy news on the car though. I got it with the understanding that someone in the recent past had the car started. You know how that goes, though, right? I got the car home, put a battery in it and with a quick check of the oil, BAM ! ! ! It runs. Next, the headlights... and bam again. They work as well as the high beams and the tail lights. Turn signals... good. Heater fan... good. Wipers... good. Even the shifter for the 4 speed is solid enough to find the gears. Even the interior is decent. Brake pedal... hits the floor. Dang. The first bad news. Well, why not try some brake fluid??? In goes the fluid, and BAM again... the brakes pump up. And, sorry, but at about this point, the weather came in. Just when I was getting ready to take some pictures. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.
            I do love it when a gamble pays off ! ! !
            Evidently, the car had been listed for some time. Several people had come to look at it, but no offers. I told him the car was priced right, but that I was only willing to offer less. They took it. I'm happy and they're glad to be rid of it. Good news all around.
            sals54

Comment

Gosh Sal...you better be careful...you might get arrested by the fun police!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Right place, right time, right offer. Looking forward to pictures and more tales of the rehabilitation.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Was this a one-off done at the factory, or did someone add it? I'd love to see the production order on it...and pics,of course!
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

What a find. You're going to have fun with this one. Oh, and by the way, yes I am jealous -- very much so!
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

C'mon Sal, I have to question your priorities. If you had time to check the oil, top off the brake fluid and pump up the brakes, that means you could have taken pictures for us. We're a sensitive lot, and our feelings are hurt if we don't get pictures in a reasonable (10-15 minutes after purchase?) amount of time.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Cut Sal some slack. Weather here in N Calif was bad last night. We had lightning strike a power pole a couple of houses down and my power was out for 6 hours. Made me miss the Packers game. I walked the dog past the spot where the power line was arcing in the middle of the street and there is a sizeable blemish in the blacktop.

That arcing power line lit up the sky like a house on fire. Very cool - except for missing the game.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Didn't miss much of a game. The cheese guys went ahead early and stayed ahead. Your light show was probably much more exciting.
                          Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                          That arcing power line lit up the sky like a house on fire. Very cool - except for missing the game.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Where's those darned pictures,.... Keep in mind some of us don't even buy green bananas.

This is unfair and quite torturous.

Dean.

Comment

Not aware of any factory made Hawks with the skytop option. Sounds like an after-market. Would love to see the build sheet.....hope I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X