50 Champion body to 51 champion chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 50 Champion body to 51 champion chassis

Does anyone know if I can sit a 1950 Champion 2 door body on a 1951 Champion 4 door chassis? I have a completely restored 51 chassis with engine, automatic and rear axle, no body. Also have a 50 2 door with no rust and in very good condition but with no engine or suspension. Can anyone tell me if the wil mate up? If you can help I will be ever grateful. Also you can email me at "doubledaddy@mytocn.com" Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Maybe it can be done, but it won't be a bolt up. The wheel base is slightly different. The front fenders are different for the different suspension and the front suspension is totally different.

What would be easier would be the 50 body with 51 front body clip.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Two inches difference in the wheelbase; '50=113, '51=115. I think biggest issue would be around the front suspension. Still, with a torch and welder, most things are possible. Totally agree with Roy; a front clip graft would make your task much simpler.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have in the past put a 50 front clip on a 51 Champion, only problem was needed to add spacers under the front part of the front fenders. For that matter I think I could use the 51 fenders and just use the 50 grill frame. My goal is a 50 Champion that i can get to driving condition with as little heavy work as possible. Also I would rather use the 51 steering and suspension and also that chassis has been pretty much restored and painted. My only question is if the body to frame bolts will line up. Guess I,m going to have to get busy with my measuring tape. Thanks
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

I did find out what fits, set the scrap 50 champion body on the 51 frame. Two problems, the front holes at the firewall are about an inch off, will have to drill holes and add some spacers. other then that the body fits. Also will have to use the 51 front finders or modify the front mounts on the 50 fenders. The 50 grill section will fit either way.
          sigpic
          Barn Find
          1950 Champion
          Before I started
          Jim Berry
          Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
          X