No announcement yet.

How to ID correct Delco window dist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: How to ID correct Delco window dist.

After reading in various threads here several glowing recommendations about installing a Pertronix, I'm also under the impression that I can't do so with my stock Prestolite dist. (62 gt) So what is/are some correct ID #'s for tracking down a used Delco-Remy window distributor? In answering, assume that I have little to no mechanical experience, and I'll need enough info to pass on to my son-the-mechanic, or at least to go looking on eBay myself, anyway. (and it sounds like there's a split jury here on the Mallory units.)

Thanks

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

I sent you a PM. I think I have what you need.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I would also like to know the answer to the question.

thanks

Pat
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Since you do not really need the nice "Window" to use a allen wrench to set the points while running when you have Electronic Ignition, an early Delco will work just fine with Pertronixs Ignition.

These are the ones used on '51 to '59 Studes. & '60-'61 Hawks and have no "Window" they are very plentiful and long lasting even more than a Window type.
        Most of The internals of the upper portion of these, like the Delco Window type are the same as Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Olds, GMC, AMC and Chev.

Just about anytime you find an old Dist. with a drive shaft a FOOT long, it's a Studebaker V8! Look for the oval "Delco" tag and the specific shaped Rotor and or Window in the Cap to tell if it is early or late. There were only (3) V-8 Distributors, and you know what the Prestolite that you do NOT want looks like, pretty easy job to spot one.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you do an archives' search, I am pretty sure you will find there are Pertronix kits available for both type Delcos and the Prestolite. As for the window Delco being better, I see no advantage other than easier to set the points' dwell. But that is a non-issue if installing a Pertronix.

Comment

Paul is correct, Pertronix kits for non-Avanti dual points Prestolite Dist. are NLA since Crane went out of business.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I wonder if the Pertronix mount plate for the dual point Avanti Prestolite is close enough to fit the single point Prestolite, maybe with a little custom modification? How much difference is there between the single & dual point Prestolites?

Comment

I don't really know Joe exactly, but the main difference would be the whole breaker plate and vacuum advance is way different, but maybe with some precise hole drilling and tapping you could make it work.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Kurt,

Thanks. Reply sent.

Studerich,

Yah, good point about not needing the window if I go to Pertronix.

@ all: Thanks for the advice and info. Due to a sudden family expense, looks like I won't be doing much on the GT for a while.

Paul
                  I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Working...
                  X