Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Second Chip...'65 Commander

Hi all and Happy New Year...

I'm pleased to report I am now, on paper at least, in possession of a second Studebaker, after five years plus with the '62 Lark. The new addition is, as previously alluded to, a '65 Commander six 4dr, which is currently stored at the same place my Lark usually winters (though the Lark hasn't gone there yet, and I actually drove it Christmas Day!), awaiting some engine work. I had intended to retrofit another Chevy six (194, 230 or even a 250), but it appears the McKinnon 194 already in the car is not toast, so Plan A is to get the '65 going on that...likely at a garage conveniently very near the storage site. Thanks much to Steve (stephenj) Porter for "nailing down" the car for the interim this past fall so it wouldn't "escape"! Herewith, hopefully, two pix of the '65 as it currently sits. Much of the bodywork wears black primer at the moment. Original finish was Laguna Blue, so not too far off the original hue my Lark once wore; intention is to get both cars back to original shade eventually but for now the emphasis will be on keeping the '62 running and getting the '65 running as well. I can't drive two at once of course, so (as the Porters have allowed me to do with their Hawk) one or the other will sometimes be taken to cruises and Chapter meetings by other currently-Studeless SDCers. Since the car is black and blue at the moment we've nicknamed it "The Bruise"! It'll take on another moniker once it's all one shade. Here are the pix.

Cheers

S.

Wow, that's a nice dash. Have fun with it!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hi Steve.Looks like a great car,even has 65 plates and extra front bumper guards

Comment

Does that Clock "dummy" actually say only: "Studebaker" on it?

It is supposed to say Studebaker Corporation on South Bend and some Hamilton Cars, and Studebaker of Canada on the rest of the Hamilton cars.

It is either like a rare "mis-strike" coin, or someone has been playing!
        Maybe some American not wanting it known that he is Un-American to be driving an Import!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I looked at that dash and couldn't help thinking (probably because of the color and the shape) how much it looks like the dash in my late parents old '66 Rambler Classic 770 wagon they had.
          JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Does that Clock "dummy" actually say only: "Studebaker" on it?

It is supposed to say Studebaker Corporation on South Bend and some Hamilton Cars, and Studebaker of Canada on the rest of the Hamilton cars.

It is either like a rare "mis-strike" coin, or someone has been playing!
            Maybe some American not wanting it known that he is Un-American to be driving an Import!
            I wondered the same thing but maybe that was only with the 64 cars. I think that it's a late 65 with the suspended gas pedal and matching steering wheel so maybe they changed the delete plate design too. I would bet that it has flanged axles. It reminds me of our blue interior 65 daytona wagonaire but it came with a clock.
            A nice looking commander. Congratulations!

Comment

According to the Build sheet it started out as a Standard Transmission on May 21 1965.

Comment

Working...
              X