No announcement yet.

One of a kind Studebaker located in South Africa – 1935 President Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of a kind Studebaker located in South Africa – 1935 President Land Cruiser

Click image for larger version

Name:	35 pres land cruiser gillespie copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1737082 Click image for larger version

Name:	35 pres land cruiser gillespie2 copy.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1737083
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks Richard, lovely car. Somewhat reminds me of the Chrysler Airflow models in the shape of the rear panel and spat over the rear wheel. They certainly did a lovely car.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Hi

Great to know at least one is still extant, it's quite a magnificant car. It's four-window club sedan fastback styling was one more step toward the 3-box sedan configuration that would become the dominant sedan style. Studebaker again participated in that revolution away from the touring sedan with their '41 and '42 Land Cruisers. Rather wish they had fielded Land Cruisers from '36 to '40 as well.

Steve

Comment

Gosh, that is pretty. Cool beans. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Even rarer because it is right hand drive.

Terry

Comment

Looks to be very nicely done. I especially like the color matches wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19923[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19924[/ATTACH]

I thought some would like to see this recently discovered Studebaker. It is a 1935 President Land Cruiser. While there are a few ’35 Commander Land Cruisers extant and also a few ’34 Presidents of this body style, this is the only surviving ‘35 I am aware. It was recently purchased by ASC/SDC member Peter Gillespie of SA. Some may recall that it was Peter and his brother-in-law Detlev Borner that competed successfully in the Peking to Paris 8000+ mile rally in a ’30 President Victoria prepared by Rex Miltenberger of Niles MI.

As for the ’35 it was one of 2305 Presidents built. While we do not have production figures by body style in that year the number of this particular body built was undoubtedly very small due to the fact that it was one of the highest priced and arguably a radical new design. In any event it is great to know there is at least one survivor! Now we must find that 1933 President St Regis Brougham.

"Recently Discovered" - well if it was discovered in this condition, it sure wasn't cobweb-bound in some dark barn corner. So that begs: Where was it when it was "dis-covered"???
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous car. I'd love to see a picture that shows more of the back. Do you have one?
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Wow didn't know they made non suicide door models back then.
                  John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I believe John Shanahan told me about this at the time of the Peking to Paris run as the owners contacted him about a car and spare engine he has.
                    Last edited by jlmccuan; 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
                      Wow didn't know they made non suicide door models back then.
                      Look again,suicide front doors! This car gets my vote as the most beautifullest 'Stude I've ever seen.!
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Absolutely Stunning Automobile!
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                          Absolutely gorgeous car. I'd love to see a picture that shows more of the back. Do you have one?
                          As ordered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1935 Studebaker Pierce Arrow Sedan (6).jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1676529
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Well you guys have used up all of the adjectives I was going to use for this beauty. I would love to see it in person.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

WOW that is definetly a TW cover car if there ever was one!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X