Where Did All The Jacks Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Did All The Jacks Go?

When I got my '64 Daytona, it came without a jack. When I got my '64 Commander, it came without a jack. What happened to all the jacks?
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

There weren't any in my trunk. And,my 1960 Lark had the spare tire and jack delete..
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Buried beneath the seat in my 1950 2R10 there was a very small screw jack, completely rusted. Unfortunately, the handle broke at the joint between the 2 links...

I'm still not sure if it's genuine or not - probably not, and I would not want to lift a pushbike with it, let alone a 2R10!

Comment

I have a jack I bought that was "supposed" to be for a Hawk, but it is too short, so I am assuming it is for a Lark. I'd like to trade it for the correct one, or sell it to someone who could use it.

Comment

They are easily-removed weight for a salvage yard to pull and pile to get more money for them than what is the "mixed metal" that includes an entire car, so they are frequently pulled right away to become "more valuable" scrap than the car itself at that point. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            I have a jack I bought that was "supposed" to be for a Hawk, but it is too short, so I am assuming it is for a Lark. I'd like to trade it for the correct one, or sell it to someone who could use it.
            HAWK "Your 3's"

Rack height must be at least 33 inches AND the jack body must extend out horizontally at least 3 inches from the rack.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
              HAWK jacks are easy to identify …when you remember "Your 3's"

Rack height must be at least 33 inches AND the jack body must extend out horizontally at least 3 inches from the rack.
              I wish they had taught the "threes" when I was in school, I wouldn't have a jack I can't use now... ; ) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                I wish they had taught the "threes" when I was in school, I wouldn't have a jack I can't use now... ; ) Thanks!
                As Will Rogers might have put it; "A man only learns in two ways, one by reading the Forum, and the other by association with smarter people"

Comment

There not at my house . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                    When I got my '64 Daytona, it came without a jack. When I got my '64 Commander, it came without a jack. What happened to all the jacks?
                    Studebaker Engineering typically spec’d a jack to be good for 25 cycles. The ones in your 49 year old Studebakers probably gave-up-the-ghost many years ago and they got pitched.

From what I recall reading on Studebaker's Service Dept. parts records, they did a "rather brisk" business in replacement jacks. At times even resorting to mixing & matching different jack racks, blocks & bases in their inventory to keep up with demand.
                    Last edited by Welcome; 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I've got a couple I can bring to York. Don Simmons usually has a couple there for sale as well.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I needed a replacement for my '64 recently, and I finally found a junkyard that had a few standing in a corner. I got lucky and bought a near mint jack for $15.00, not original, but looks right at home under the spare!

Comment

The '64 I just got had a jack, lug wrench, and apare tire in the trunk. I talked to the yard owner and I guess the PO had the car a very long time, possibly since new. The jack appears to be of that era, possibly original. Anybody have a picture of a "true" one?
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

It would be a great benefit to the club if someone would create a reference page of photos or illustrations of correct factory jacks for different models and years.
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

The jacks were probably vendor items and may have changed during production runs. I have a correct 1 or 2 for my 1950 Champions and a correct one for my 1966 Daytona if anyone needs pictures.
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X