Name:	TRAIN 150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1737078 Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAIN 149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1737079

While in Galesburg IL today, doing a little shopping, I took a little detour downtown to snap a couple pictures of this old Studebaker dealership. I have known about this building for years, but never seem to have a camera handy. I believe it was Windish motors.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Well, Kurt; did they have any parts? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well...... Since it was new years day I don't believe they were open.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Bob,
        Sorry, no parts left. My brother and I cleaned that place out in the summer of '73.
        Jim
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
          Bob, Sorry, no parts left. My brother and I cleaned that place out in the summer of '73.
          Jim
          Great. No need to be sorry, Jim; I'm always happy to hear when a parts stash was cleaned out by Stude folks, as opposed to being ten feet under in the local landfill. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Kurt, Thanks for posting the pix. The dealership belonged to my great uncle and one of his sons. I thought they had closed shop in Galesburg sometime in the late 50's, but it may have been later, especially since Jim and his brother cleaned out all the parts in 73. I would have been around 10 yrs old at the time and don't remember the dealership, as our family was a farming family from the Elmwood area and drove nothing but Studes until 65. My only remembrances of a Stude dealership was Associated Motors in near by Canton. My uncle moved to the Denver area, opening an Olds and Winnebago dealership. Our side of the family had lost track of them after they moved out there. The Windish RV dealership still is in operation in the Denver area, being run by a 3rd or 4th generation descendant. I plan on seeing the owners this summer when out there for the Meet in Colorado Springs.
            Jim, Do you know if the dealership was still operating in Galesburg up until you got the inventory or had it been closed for a time before you got the inventory? Also please PM me if you have any printed material with Windish Motors, decals or whatever, I would be interested in acquiring a remembrance of the operation due to the family tie. Thanks.

Paul Windish
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Very interesting Paul. I live in Yates City, IL. I bet I know some of your family. In fact, the farm that I own was owned at one time by a Windish. Anyway, glad you liked the photo. I want to go back sometime and take a few more with my car or truck parked out front.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Please be sure to add your post to the long running Studebaker Dealer thread.

An odd thread will get lost in a few months, and will be hard to find.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X