1950 champ rear window removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1950 champ rear window removal

I'm preparing my 50 champion coupe for media blasting and I want to remove both the 2pc windshield and also the rear 2 pc window. Any tips would be appreciated, Glass is good and I dont wont to damage them.

Remove the divider strips, (screws from the inside) and then cut the rubber window channel with a razor knife. If you lay the blade flat on the glss and go around the widow, you will be able to lift the glass out. Then taking the rest of the old rubber out will be easy. If you have metal trim in the rubber, you will need to cut it out first.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that method a try

Comment

'50 Champion Coupe with two piece rear window? Must be a Business Coupe.
        Yes, cut it out. New rubber is available.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just remember that 1950 era Studebaker glass installs from the inside. Not from the outside, which we are used to.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

didn't know that, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
              Just remember that 1950 era Studebaker glass installs from the inside. Not from the outside, which we are used to.
              What years is this true for?

Comment

Originally posted by Boothguy View Post
                Not trying to be a smart-Alec here...but this is why buying the appropriate manuals is so important. Either paper books or CD's...as important as any tool or part you will ever obtain.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Boothguy View Post
                  47-52 cars have essentially the same body.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Not trying to be a smart-Alec here...but this is why buying the appropriate manuals is so important. Either paper books or CD's...as important as any tool or part you will ever obtain.
                    Agreed, and yet the resistance continues. Is it because we Studebaker owners cannot read? Is it because it's not macho to look in a book? Is it because we do not know that the books exist?

Why anybody would attempt repairs or restorations without educating themselves on the subject of the restoration is beyond me.

The Studebaker parts books are better than any other marque I have seen, which is why I keep spreading the word and agree with John 100%..
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well, Roy,
                      Perhaps a big reason is because so many folks don't realize the resources available.
                      They find a goofy old Stude that intrigues them, they buy it, they Google, they find the Forum, we answer all their questions. Why buy a manual? Or a parts catalog? Or join a club with thousands of resources?
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Don't look too hard for the answer.... we're all CASO !! Many Studebaker owners drive cars that owners of any other make would have sent to the crusher decades ago.... because they just keep running. How many times have you seen the ad for a Stude on Craig's list or ebay that with a straight face says "Only a small hole in the floorboard" when in reality the floor board, fenders and trunk floor are mostly rusted away? Or, the classic line... "Car ran when parked..... 20 years ago?"

Or maybe we are just CA so why would we ever throw good money after a book when we could spend a week accomplishing a 1 hour task detailed in a the manual ?

Comment

Manual---Smanual--sometimes it's just more fun to learn from our mistakes---than to do it right from the beginning. Most of the time, I would have forgot how to do things, if I read how to do it right the first time. It's the little "tricks of the trade" I like on this site.

Comment

I thought the Forum was the advanced edition of the original manuals. I know that there were often updates to manuals used by the dealer mechanics when a new tool was developedl or easier way to do a repair was found. With todays technology and tools some jobs can be done quicker and better then following an old manual. That being said, a good wiring schematic is priceless.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                              I thought the Forum was the advanced edition of the original manuals. I know that there were often updates to manuals used by the dealer mechanics when a new tool was developedl or easier way to do a repair was found. With todays technology and tools some jobs can be done quicker and better then following an old manual. That being said, a good wiring schematic is priceless.
                              Ahh, but here's the rub.... the cars have changed to keep up with the new changes......Studebakers were made with the manuals way of repairs.
                              Things like cheap ball joints, and glued in glass, came later.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X