• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two quotes on roof repair

The upholstery shop dentedClick image for larger version

Name:	riesch 63 studebaker 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1737045 my roof on my '63 hawk the first quote from a shop here in big town Burgaw $470, the second quote from a vintage restoration shop in Wilmington $2340, So I ask myself if I were paying for this where would I take it, the answer Burgaw for $470 It just dont look to be $2340 in repairs they both had a detailed list of materials the Burgaw shop listed $80 for paint the restoration shop $300 and so on. Hagerty has been good to me, I can't see soaking them for that big a bill for a small repair By the way the upholstery shop did not get my business
    Attached Files
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

The restoration shop probably wants to remove the headliner and express the roof from the inside. That involves removing the windshield and backlight with all the R&R involved. The other shop will probably stud the dent with a Stinger and attempt to pull it out, putty, sand and paint. With my limited experience in a body shop, $470 isn't going to get you much. While the restoration shop does sound a bit high, the other shop is cutting more corners than they should. Or they have their technique well honed. Maybe Hagerty has experience with the restoration shop. Why not present both to them for their judgement?
    Last edited by rockne10; 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with Rockne10. In fact...since there is such a disparity in the quotes, I think you should get a couple more. Few areas on a car (perhaps an uninsulated hood) are subjected to more extreme heat and cooling cycles than a roof. Couple that with the large area of thin sheet metal subjected to buffeting of wind and flexing over rough roads, and the repairs must be well done. If not, sooner or later it will fail.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Get some more prices and then pick or just take the high one.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Gee Mark when did this happen? I think I know what shop you went to in Wilmington. They are good, but as you have found a bit high. I agree that the other estimate is low and would tend to make me think the results may not be up to par. Hagarty is fair, as you have stated so it might not be a bad I idea to talk with them. Contact Jamie (starliner62) he might have some ideas here in Fayetteville.

Another thought. Since the upholstery shop damaged the roof are they not liable to fix it? I hope the upholstery job was a decent one after all of this .
          Last edited by JRoberts; 12-29-2012, 01:35 AM. Reason: An additional thought.....
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

In my opinion there's no other area on a car that's more difficult to fix. You can't just unbolt a roof & bolt on a new one on (convertibles aside) & that makes it tough. (I've got a friend who just had the same thing happened to his Jaguar a few month ago.)
            & the only way to do it is to remove the inner liner & then you still have the most sensitive part (since it's structural) of the car to fix so it stays good.
            It's not the nicest thing to experience the paint starts cracking (even if it takes 6 years) because of bad work, & if you can get a dent out let's say 80% then the remaining dent is not so far away to flatten out either, to many lazy "craftsmen" has put loads of filler on instead &... &... so on...

Comment

A damaged roof is, beyond a doubt, the toughest of auto body repairs. BTDT In this case, it appears that the panel is stretched, which just compounds the problem. Since it is essentially at eye level, you are always looking directly across the repaired panel. ANY flaw such as a slight wave or sanding scratch will stand out. IMHO, short of putting a vinyl top over the repaired area there is virtually no way to get the roof to look right. It will take a roof panel replacement to do this job properly.
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

I originally bought my green 1955 Commander coupe in the avatar, it had been vandalized. The roof was pushed down almost to the top of the seats. However, it was very rust free, and would provide 2 good front fenders for my other project - my first car, a 1955 Champion coupe. I cleaned out all of the garbage in the car, sat in the seat, pushed up, and the roof was close to 99% normal. A little dollying with wood (doesn't stretch metal) and the lines disappeared. Lucky! I changed the oil, put in a battery, and it started right up. I found 2 more fenders and fixed them both up. The roof is still perfect after 20 years.

It appears that your dents are sharp and metal may have been stretched. In addition, the trim is bent and into the windshield. To best install headliners, the front and back windows need to be removed to stretch the headliner fabric.

I think this is more than a $400 repair, but the other one perhaps seems high. I would get some more quotes and talk to the insurance company.

Comment

both shops where going to stud weld to remove the dent. I also got an estimate from both of them to fix the bubbles in the paint on the hood and trunk $500 for Burgaw and $2300 for the other. I work with a guy who had his corvette painted in Burgaw he was quite pleased with the work. I plan to have another shop look at it. There are not too many body shops that practice true body work anymore.
                  I retrieved my car from the upholstery shop before the started and NO they took no blame he said it was there when I dropped of the car, even though he and I stood right by the passengers side door and discussed the job
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

GeezLouise Jim, maybe I should just scrap the car, but then again your car is made of plastic

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                    A damaged roof is, beyond a doubt, the toughest of auto body repairs. BTDT In this case, it appears that the panel is stretched, which just compounds the problem. Since it is essentially at eye level, you are always looking directly across the repaired panel. ANY flaw such as a slight wave or sanding scratch will stand out. IMHO, short of putting a vinyl top over the repaired area there is virtually no way to get the roof to look right. It will take a roof panel replacement to do this job properly.
                    Mark Riesch
                    New Bern, NC

Comment

This is just the type situation when the customer would want to pay MORE than the estimate. As others have said,it's a hard spot to repair,if the roof is stretched as it looks like,I'd want access to the inside of the roof. It might pull out just fine with a few studs,but it might not. If you trust the shop with the lower estimate,take it back to them and ask him if he wants to look at it again-or maybe compare his price with the other. He may appreciate the chance to make a good buck on the job by upping his bid,and still give a decent price to the insurance company.
                      Is the dinged piece of stainless included? If not,this is a good time to get that replaced too,if you can find one,or repair it.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

TXmark.. I would think just to stud weld and pull although it can be done is not the way to go on this. If I where to do it in my shop I would remove the windsheild and drop the headliner about half way.This way you can get in behind the dent or at least most of it and hammer and dollie it. There is I'am sure a support at the very front edge that may make it hard to get in behind it. But sometimes where there's a will there's a way.This way you can also metal finish and shrink out any stretch. It should not show if done right. If it shows after the guy didn't do a good job. The other way your looking at a lot more filler in it. If thats ok with you than just pull out what you can and fill the rest.

Comment

I'd take the guy at the upholstery shop to small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            I'd take the guy at the upholstery shop to small claims court.
                            Yeah...this could be a pretty entertaining "Judge Judy" episode. However, from what I have witnessed...she has very little respect or tolerance for older vehicles. I can see it now..." You want how much for a 50 year old car?" "It's not even listed in the blue book!" ... "Case dismissed!"

I enjoy her show, but sometimes I think she misses the mark a bit when it comes to the value of collector cars, car fans and the passion they have for their rides.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd take a few back issues of Hemming Motor News, with pages tabbed, to support my contentions. That worked well when working with a State Farm insurance adjuster when the wife totaled her 63 GT about 8-9 years ago. That, along with an appraisal from a local, well respected, classic car dealer, kept everything in perspective.
                              Judge Judy seems pretty savvy when it comes to sifting through BS. The small claims idea is more on principle than other, since it sounds like the OP is well insured.

Comment

Working...
                              X