Motor Trend 1957 Custom Car Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend 1957 Custom Car Winners

I have been going through some old magazines and in the Motor Trend Nov 1957 issue two gentlemen got awards for transforming their 1953 Studebakers into 1957 Golden Hawks. The comments include the fact that no welding or torch cutting was needed for this transformation. The gentlemen were Lewis Taunten form Columbus Ga whom got first place and a Roger Groover from Springfield Mo. I wonder if either of these gentleman or their cars are still in existence. As I have heard the 53 frames were weak, I wonder what effect the super charger had on the 53 frame.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Wonder if my wife's dad and uncle would have had a shot. It took them 2-3 years to transform what is now ours. There definitely was some cutting involved.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
      I have been going through some old magazines and in the Motor Trend Nov 1957 issue two gentlemen got awards for transforming their 1953 Studebakers into 1957 Golden Hawks. The comments include the fact that no welding or torch cutting was needed for this transformation. The gentlemen were Lewis Taunten form Columbus Ga whom got first place and a Roger Groover from Springfield Mo. I wonder if either of these gentleman or their cars are still in existence. As I have heard the 53 frames were weak, I wonder what effect the super charger had on the 53 frame.
      Neither of these gentlemen are listed in the 2008 SDC Roster.

I built a 1953 Commander Starliner with a 1957 Golden Hawk engine, including supercharger. Hood fit was the only problem. I owned the car for nine years.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
        Wonder if my wife's dad and uncle would have had a shot. It took them 2-3 years to transform what is now ours. There definitely was some cutting involved.
        I believe that you are referring to a customization of a C/K, of which there were many in that era, not the transformation into a Golden Hawk.
        You list a Starlight. That couldn't be converted into a Golden Hawk.
        I can't think of any "welding or torch cutting" that would be necessary to convert a 1953 Starliner into what appears as a 1957 Golden Hawk.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, I found it interesting that Motor Trend considered this a customized car. When I think of a custom, I think of fenders from other makes being grafted on etc. For this change they had to drill holes in the rear fenders for the fins but the rest is pretty much a bolt on change.
          Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I will stop posting on the forum if that makes you happy
            Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

My '53 was also run for several years with a '57 Golden Hawk mill under the (bubbled) hood. It is now restored to stock and I sold the engine about 15 years ago to a fellow in California who was going to drop it into a Lark convertible. I cut the center out of a '53 sedan to make a small bubble in the hood... still had to modify the front motor mounts a bit to get it to fit... as my hood height measurements were off by about 3/8". It was a tight fit but we beat many Chevvies once I got it wound up.
              When restoration time came, I had to buy another car to get a hood.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1676471

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                I will stop posting on the forum if that makes you happy
                Milt, please don't let one narrow minded person negatively influence you. Your knowledge is needed and appreciated here.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I believe that you are referring to a customization of a C/K, of which there were many in that era, not the transformation into a Golden Hawk.
                  You list a Starlight. That couldn't be converted into a Golden Hawk.
                  I can't think of any "welding or torch cutting" that would be necessary to convert a 1953 Starliner into what appears as a 1957 Golden Hawk.
                  Please notice I made no reference to a Golden Hawk. It would seem apparent that a Custom Car Award would include more possibilities than just the one mentioned in the first post. If you have information to the contrary please let us know.
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                  jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

To: unclemiltie,-----Your mention of the '57 'MOTOR TREND' article reminded Me of another conversion done to a '53 'K' model. In the '57 'HOT ROD' magazine issue that road tested the '57 Golden Hawk, a reader wrote
                    in with a story and photo of a '53 HT that was converted into a '56 Golden Hawk (externally)....In the photo, this '53 looks EXACTLY like a '56J. (Well, I'm not sure if He put the lower aluminum side mouldings on it!)

Comment

It was a "bolt-on customizing" contest, so all the modifications to all of the entrants were supposed to be bolt-on. There were thirteen winners of which two were Studebakers, including the first prize winner. Here are the two Studes (one at the top was the first place winner):

Comment

Working...
                      X