Super Lark comparison...lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Lark comparison...lots of pics

This is an article from the May 1963 Popular Science magazine.

Leonard Shepherd

'Can't say as I have ever heard of a Comet Sportster (?) before, Leonard...you learn something new every day! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Can't say as I have ever heard of a Comet Sportster (?) before, Leonard...you learn something new every day! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Can't say as I have ever heard of a Comet Sportster (?) before, Leonard...you learn something new every day! BP
        I have never heard of that either. I always thought the hot Comet was called Caliente.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Can't say as I have ever heard of a Comet Sportster (?) before, Leonard...you learn something new every day! BP
          I have never heard of that either. I always thought the hot Comet was called Caliente.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Great article! Thanks for posting!
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Great article! Thanks for posting!
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Leonard,

I believe the Caliente was the fancy model, the Cyclone was the "hi-po" model.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Leonard,

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Leonard,

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

True, Dan;

It may be that Ford planned to call it Sportster, but ran into infringement issues with Harley-Davidson. Meanwhile, an early press release may have gone out, from which the magazine article's writer was working.

Just a theory, you understand. But I can't imagine Harley-Davidson letting it slide, even back then; today, they are even more aggressive today with copyright infringement. [:0] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Leonard,

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

True, Dan;

It may be that Ford planned to call it Sportster, but ran into infringement issues with Harley-Davidson. Meanwhile, an early press release may have gone out, from which the magazine article's writer was working.

Just a theory, you understand. But I can't imagine Harley-Davidson letting it slide, even back then; today, they are even more aggressive today with copyright infringement. [:0] BP

Comment

quote:My uncle had a 63 Le Mans with a 326. It ran well, but I can't see it being quicker than an R2 Lark. The swing axle was a beauty, too - he wore out a set of rear tires on ONE trip to Florida. He didn't keep it long.
                        It is hard to believe the the 326 Pontiac got better gas mileage than the R2 Lark. I don't put too much faith in these old magazine road tests.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:My uncle had a 63 Le Mans with a 326. It ran well, but I can't see it being quicker than an R2 Lark. The swing axle was a beauty, too - he wore out a set of rear tires on ONE trip to Florida. He didn't keep it long.
                          It is hard to believe the the 326 Pontiac got better gas mileage than the R2 Lark. I don't put too much faith in these old magazine road tests.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Look at the braking area of the cars, the Stude far exceeded the others. By comparison, the Corvair and LeMans had 197 square inches to 377 for the Lark. Of course, the Stude was the only one with front discs. [:0]

Comment

Look at the braking area of the cars, the Stude far exceeded the others. By comparison, the Corvair and LeMans had 197 square inches to 377 for the Lark. Of course, the Stude was the only one with front discs. [:0]

Comment

Working...
                              X