Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much can you mill off a champion flat six head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: how much can you mill off a champion flat six head?

HI, i've been looking for a aluminum high comp. head for a champion flat head six, can't seem to find one. i have a couple of stock spares, i'm a capable machinist, thinking about cutting one(it would be an easy set up). Anybody know how much you can take without any problems? Also i have an old rochester 2bbl carb, thinking about making an adapter for the stock stude intake, any input? Thanks, Pete

On the intake, the opening in the intake if smaller than the sum of the two in the carb will restrict the power to more or less what it would be with a one barrell the same size. You might be able to take two manifolds and combine them to make one big enough to take the larger carb.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have taken .100" of a 1959 head, which has a higher compression than an early head. Depending on what head you are using will depend on the results,as well as if they had been machined before. Depending on how far you want to go with the Champ engine revealing the block from the valves to the cylinder is a worth while job.

I stayed away from the aluminum heads because they do get damaged after multiple torquing.

I have also made the champ work with a 4bbl carb but it didn't like it too much at low rpm. The higher it revved the better is was. If you want any more info I can post a like to some photos of it. Len.

Comment

Pete -

Question - what is the plan for removing this material from the head deck ?
        The reason I ask is...there is a reason there are high dollar machines to do this work. If the plan is to accomplish this on a mill with a fly cutter, might want to keep a spair head gasket and head around close.
        Unless you can make the cut with a single pass with the cutter, you're most likely to leave ridges the diameter of the fly cutter. Either take a LOT of care setting up your equipment and remove very little material per pass (do not over heat the material)...or just spend the bucks and have it done using a proper machine.
        Or...keep that second head close at hand..!

Using equipment that requires multiple passes (to clean the entire surface), I'd only take about .005" per pass.

Wish you the best on your experiment..

Mike

Comment

What year is your head? As skybolt said, the later heads are higher compression. Start with one of those.

Every thou removed from the head surface also reduces the transfer slot from the intake valve to the cylinder. As previously mentioned, it is necessary to keep the same or more space for the inhale/exhale to take place. Use come clay and put the head and a used gasket and a light torque to get an idea of how much breathing room exists.

Ideally, you would have access to a sonic tester and remove half from the head transfer area and half from the block betwen the cylinder and the valves.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I have heard that the most bang for your buck to increase Champion six performance is a slightly hotter cam. Many folks get too wild with a cam, but a mild one should do some good. It's a lot tougher than just milling a head, however. And that milling seems tougher than one would suppose at first blush.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X