Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where are all the 1928 Studebaker President ads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where are all the 1928 Studebaker President ads?

hi,
    I have a '28 Stude FB President Victoria, and have had a 'search' in Ebay that automatically notifies me of anything with those words in it.... I've been fortunate enough to get an original owners manual, correct horn, and radiator cap (and NOS Purlolater oil filter with the Service letter from 1932!), but in 10+years that is about it, and I've NEVER found a 1928 advertisement for one.
    By contrast, I daily get get notices of ads for 1929 in particular, and sometimes 1930 ads for both Victorias and the other more common body styles.
    It just seems Studebaker didn't advertise the FBs in particular, and not many of the FAs (earlier 1928) even.
    I realize FBs would be tougher because they only made them from July to October of '28 ,but you'd think there would be SOME ads for them.

The ONLY thing I've ever found with an original '28 FB Victoria in it is a factory showroom catalog I was lucky enough to find at a swap meet, but I had hoped to one day find a nice ONLY Victoria FB ad for framing....

Anyone know why '28 had so little advertising vs 29?? And the stock market crash wasn't until after the FB was out of production...... so that isn't it.

Richard Quinn is hoarding them all in his attic. He'll find them on his way to find something else!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
      Richard Quinn is hoarding them all in his attic. He'll find them on his way to find something else!
      I like that!

Truth is Studebaker did almost no magazine advertising in 1928. The reason had something to do with an issue A.R. Erskine had with the magazine industry. The only magazine ads you will ever find for '28 are some small used car ads. The advertising budget was spent on additional newspaper advertising. Remember in that day there was no T.V. and no radio so ads that would get nationwide exposure were quite limited. Sorry to relate then that you can stop wasting your time looking for a 1928 FB magazine ad. There aren't any.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

thanks Richard,
        (I would have bet on your attic tool :- )
        Lucky to have found the original sales brochure for ALL the models then I guess.... only original 'colored' graphic of a '28 President FB Victoria I'll probably ever come across.....
        Still keeping my eyes open for factory photos; lots of photos of '28 President OTHER body styles, eventually has to be a FB Victoria out there somewhere.

Comment

I'll bet someone with photoshop could create one.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

No wonder why I have a big blank in my collection between 1927 & 1929. It is amazing what one can learn by dropping in on the FORUM from time to time!
            MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

I don't think you will have much luck finding 1928 Studebakers either!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Erskine allowed a few ads in National Geographic Magazine.
                See this ebay ad http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Magazine-Ad-c...-/251476562361
                Somewhere in my junk I have some ads from this era.
                Robert Kapteyn
                Last edited by rkapteyn; 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  Erskine allowed a few ads in an obscure magazine.
                  Robert Kapteyn
                  Bob; The only ads you will find are those paid for by some of the bigger dealers like Paul G. Hoffman in the L.A. area and these were for local circulation magazines. They were not ads run by the Studebaker Corp.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	28 pres ad hoffman copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1688687
                    Her is a sample from the March 1928 issue of Touring Topics a southern California based magazine. Note the Paul G. Hoffman name at bottom.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      I like that!

Truth is Studebaker did almost no magazine advertising in 1928. The reason had something to do with an issue A.R. Erskine had with the magazine industry. The only magazine ads you will ever find for '28 are some small used car ads. The advertising budget was spent on additional newspaper advertising. Remember in that day there was no T.V. and no radio so ads that would get nationwide exposure were quite limited. Sorry to relate then that you can stop wasting your time looking for a 1928 FB magazine ad. There aren't any.
                      Radio as a commercial enterprise really took off after World War I. By the late 1920s it was rapidly becoming a huge entertainment medium. Unlike the phonograph which required the purchase of records, once you purchased the radio the entertainment was "free" to the radio owner. The only financial cost to the radio owner was the electricity or dry cell batteries it took to operate the radio. Advertisers footed the bill for the programming. In England, you were taxed if you owned a radio which paid for the programming but the advantage was that you weren't required to listen the Pepsodent Boys singing, "You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                        In England, you were taxed if you owned a radio which paid for the programming..........
                        In Canada, an annual Radio Licence was also required, up until 1954, I think it was.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]34210[/ATTACH]
                          FOB Detroit? Studebaker still doing some assembly in the motor city at that time?

Very nice that they point out it will do seventy miles per hours with any driver behind the wheel - and forty right off the show room floor...

Comment

Robert Kapteyn
                            Studebaker's ads back then were pretty upscale and sophisticated. They were obviously aiming for a more well healed market than they were in the fifties.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Robert Kapteyn
                              That ad is from 1929.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X