1952 Land Cruiser with a 1950-51 Bulletnose front clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Land Cruiser with a 1950-51 Bulletnose front clip

Question: with the popularity of most Bulletnoses; if someone were to get a 1952 Stude, how much hassle would it to bolt on a 1950-51 front clip?

Reading through the threads here: the 1951 LC seems to be the Holy Grail (V8, modern suspension, very easy to upgrade brakes, etc.).
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Not too bad to put the 1951 front clip on it. VERY difficult to put a 1950 front clip on it (definitely not a "bolt on").
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The cowls are basically the same from 1947 to 1952. The 50 commander front end is longer than the 50 champion which I am told is the same length as the 51 and 52. My understanding is that the difficulty comes in when you have to mount the radiator etc. in that you have to fab mounting brackets etc I have seen 50 Champ front ends put onto 52's but it was done by a fairly skilled mechanic.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Yes, the '51 fr end is what is needed for an e-z conversion since 51 & 52 have the exact same wheel base. The problem is the difficulty in finding a decent '51 fr end. A Talented body man can convert the '52 fenders for use on a 51, but it is a job unless a scrap pr of '51 fenders is available. After all that work, all you will have is a bastardized sedan. Better to start with an authentic '51 H cpe or rag top which I just happen to have for sale <boseg>

Comment

If someone were to get a '52 Land Cruiser, why not look for a '51 or a '50 to begin with? The '51 clip would fit a '52. The '50 would be a one year only suspension and front clip. '51 and later suspension would be as modern as Studebaker built.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Why?...beyond me.
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

A 50 center section (grill) bolts right onto 51 fenders.
              Personally tho for a land cruiser I like the 52 best. Does the car your speaking of just not have a front on it?

Dean.

Comment

Why? Simple........The 'bullet nose' look will always be 'In' (or 'out'?)....and have you priced a rechrome job for a complex '52 grille assembly lately?

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                  A 50 center section (grill) bolts right onto 51 fenders.
                  Personally tho for a land cruiser I like the 52 best. Does the car your speaking of just not have a front on it?

Dean.
                  No Stude of any sort at the moment but; once I get back on my feet (long story with the economy being reason #1 by far), I'd like to get a new toy and I was thinking a 1952 LC may be significantly less $$$ than a 51...........
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Why? Simple........The 'bullet nose' look will always be 'In' (or 'out'?)....and have you priced a rechrome job for a complex '52 grille assembly lately?
                    Funny but you somewhat nailed it in my case.
                    My car came with all the parts for the nose swap, its clearly what the P.O. Had in mind.
                    But the good part is that I'm keeping my 52 front for future use.
                    I'd like to have a quick change set up.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                    X