Oklahoma HIghway Patrol Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma HIghway Patrol Studebakers

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has there own FaceBook page and they now have posted three different shots of what appears to be a 1948 Business Coupe patrol car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker OKHP1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1737006 Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker okhp2.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1737007 Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker okhp3.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1737008
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Nice photos!.....really not too surprised though. Massachusetts State Police had at least two Stick O/D '57 Golden Hawks on the Pike for pursuits.

Comment

Neat photos! One might question the advisability of using a 5 passenger coupe (later referred to as a Starlight coupe) for a police car.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Very interesting photos, but I agree that the use of a Starlight coupe as a police car is a bit unusual.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Neat photos for sure. Note that the Buick motorist is described as being "distressed!" Indeed.

'Doesn't seem all that long ago that many 2-doors were used as police cars. The Indiana State Police primarily used 2-doors until the late 1960s. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder if that car still survives....

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I wonder if that car still survives....

Craig
              I doubt that it does, Craig. If it did, I think I would be aware of it.

The OHP museum does, however, have one of its original Ford patrol cars. (Also a 2 door.):

Which is not entirely unlike one of Stillwater Police Department's first Ford Patrol cars:

Two door cars are not uncommon in the history of the highway patrol. In fact, Mustangs and Camaros have been used by OHP in relative recent history.

Troopers (generally) need a quick car, and a passenger seat in order to conduct their business.

"Catch, Cite, and Release," is quite a different business plan, as related to urban patrol.

Exceptions abound, and I'm not trying to diminish what our troopers do, or the dangers they face. We have a tendency to equip and train ourselves for the most common of our duties. This is why we must always be prepared to back each other up.
              Two door cars are not uncommon in the history of

the highway patrol. In fact, Mustangs and Camaros have been used by OHP in relative recent history.

Troopers (generally) need a quick car, and a passenger seat in order to conduct their business.

"Catch, Cite, and Release," is quite a different business plan, as related to urban patrol.

Exceptions abound, and I'm not trying to diminish what our troopers do, or the dangers they face. We have a tendency to equip and train ourselves for the most common of our duties. This is why we must always be prepared to back each other up.
              Last edited by Studedude; 01-16-2019, 07:04 PM.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks for the input Officer Dave, tell us more about the museum car ... year, make and model (I'm ignorant on pre-war Studebakers and all other makes).
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Wisconsin State Patrol had 2 door Savoy bodies and 426 wedge engines for a while.
                  1936 Dictator
                  1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                  1953 Commander Regal HT
                  1953 2R5 Pickup
                  1947 M16 Truck
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                  1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                  1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                  1963 GT Hawk R2
                  1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Back in 1957 I saw a 57 Ford Convertible being used as a Highway Patrol car......Its the only one I ever saw.....Might have been a Supervisors ride, not sure, but he had his uniform on.....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Both of the '57 Goldens I mentioned in post #2 still exist here in Mass. Later in it's life, one was converted from stick to automatic to satisfy it's then owner!

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        Back in 1957 I saw a 57 Ford Convertible being used as a Highway Patrol car......Its the only one I ever saw.....Might have been a Supervisors ride, not sure, but he had his uniform on.....Keep on Studebakering
                        Back a few years when Maryland was going crazy on speeding tickets they used all kinds of vehicles as radar vehicles, even farm trucks and old clunkers (but the pursuit was till pretty much standard)
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I had an uncle who used to buy all the vehicles for the state of Kansas. He told me one time that the Kansas Highway Patrol tested supercharged Larks as possible pursuit cars. They clocked one at 132 mph on the Kansas Turnpike. They passed on the Larks, though, as being too light weight for the high speeds.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
                            Wisconsin State Patrol had 2 door Savoy bodies and 426 wedge engines for a while.
                            I have the 64 Marshall that was spec'ed out as a Wisconsin State police car. It was was one of the 20 or so sample police cars built in Sept 1963, this one is a R1, 3 speed, no overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
                              I have the 64 Marshall that was spec'ed out as a Wisconsin State police car. It was was one of the 20 or so sample police cars built in Sept 1963, this one is a R1, 3 speed, no overdrive
                              Is the one pictured in this thread yours, by chance? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X