Texas Vehicle Inspections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Vehicle Inspections?

I am relocating to Texas during the middle of January and curious about vehicle inspection procedures. I understand all vehicles get a yearly inspection. Do they actually put your car on a lift and pull wheels to check brakes, check out suspension components, etc. or is it a visual type thing for light, wipers, etc. Also understand there is two ways two register and older car, antique or classic. Pros and Cons? Thanks...Mike
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

The inspection is just visual, followed by a drive test.
    If the brakes work, you won't have a problem.

Where in TX are you moving to?
    We have 5 chapters here.
    Last edited by TX Rebel; 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
      The inspection is just visual, followed by a drive test.
      If the brakes work, you won't have a problem.

Where in TX are you moving to?
      We have 5 chapters here.
      Fort Worth area. Noticed the North Texas Chapter and they seem real active. Anything is better than the South Florida Chapter.
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
        Fort Worth area. Noticed the North Texas Chapter and they seem real active. Anything is better than the South Florida Chapter.
        We have a yearly test and is as follows http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf
        as of November this year any vehicle pre 1960 doesn't need any test what so ever although it must meet the construction and use regulation so basically everything as above should be working ( there are some exemptions on stuff like cats , seat belts the colour of number plates etc)

Comment

Yes, you will have a fine time with the N Tex, Centex & OK folks. You won't find a finer bunch of folks..We have (or usually have) Spring & Fall Zone meets in the SC Zone, and SDC folks from all over the region take part in the CenTex Chapt Spring driving tours annually in April. Zone meets usually bounce between DFW, OkC & Tulsa. You will just be a hop, skip & a jump from CO Springs where the Intl Meet will be held next year.
          You will be less than 250 mi from my Texas Studebaker Ranch N of Houston. www.Studebakersite.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
            . . . there are some exemptions on stuff like cats . . .
            Good to know. I only have dogs!
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Classic means you can drive it anytime and they inspect except that provision RE: pre-60 as above which I did not know about.
              Antique means parades and shows and such, no inspection no matter the year. This is how I have all 8 of my cars. I might go to the hardware store but I have never had a problem. Usually the hassle is for kids who have the antique plates who want to drive to school every day, since an obvious pattern can be seen.
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                Classic means you can drive it anytime and they inspect except that provision RE: pre-60 as above which I did not know about.
                Antique means parades and shows and such, no inspection no matter the year. This is how I have all 8 of my cars. I might go to the hardware store but I have never had a problem. Usually the hassle is for kids who have the antique plates who want to drive to school every day, since an obvious pattern can be seen.
                The pre 60 thing is for here in England

Comment

You need to visit this website. Should answer all your questions: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...55534169,d.b2I

Comment

since he is asking about Texas it is hard to believe anyone from anywhere else would respond.....
                    1947 M5 under restoration
                    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

From my time in Texas I know they can be somewhat picky...license plate bulbs and the like.
                      When you go, try to go to a place that can do minor repairs while you're there as opposed to just oil change places.

BTW: I don't recall a test drive being needed.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Inspections are a joke in south TX. Show your insurance, turn pn your lights, and pay the money. If you get antique plates you are exempt from the inspection anyway.
                        David G. Nittler

Comment

"Inspections are a joke in south TX. Show your insurance, turn pn your lights, and pay the money. If you get antique plates you are exempt from the inspection anyway."

I believe inspections are still necessary for cars being brought into the state...

Comment

Silverplate, If you license the car as an antique vehicle (over 25 years old) there is no inspection of any kind required. You're not supposed to drive it other than to car events or for service, but hey, that's really not a problem. Plate (rear only) is good for 3 years and are cheap. I've got a drag race car with slicks, no head lights, no WS wipers, no mufflers and it is licensed. Good luck, Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X