X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive News - Studebaker Abandons all Trademarks

From page 47 of the December 19, 1966 issue of Automotive News:

Studebaker Corporation
    announces on behalf of itself and its subisidaries that in view of the complete and permanent discontinuance and abandonment of STUDEBAKER CORPORATION and all of its subsidiaries of the manufacturer and sale of automobiles which was announced to the public ealry this year, and all automobile trademarks and trade names, registered or unregistered, have been released and surrendered and all goodwill, trademarks and trade names relating to the automotive business have been abandoned to the public.

The above is the entire passge. It is a paid ad, as it appears under the miscellaneus section of the Automotive News classifieds. I'll leave it to the lawyers to debate, but I guess if someone wanted to make thair own car in the late '60s and call it a Stude, nobody was going to stop them.
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

Now, every time I look at the emblem at the center of the steering wheel of My '63 Avanti, I'll think of the above paragraph!

Comment

Let's see...Chrysler got the Daytona, Challenger and Commander and Toyota got the Land Cruiser names all for free.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Why would they do this and why would they spend money on an ad proclaiming this? I can understand them not wanting to spend money to re-register trademarks for their own future use, but why advertise it? Trying to take advantage of an income tax loophole before the end of the year?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          Let's see...Chrysler got the Daytona, Challenger and Commander
          Don't forget about the Jeep Wagonaire.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            Actually, the Jeep is a Wagoneer which was also designed by Brook Stevens and it debuted for the 1963 model year, if I recall correctly.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Actually, the Jeep is a Wagoneer which was also designed by Brook Stevens and it debuted for the 1963 model year, if I recall correctly.
              Milaca.....You are correct.....Jeep was the wagoneer.....Stude was wagonaire.....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                There was a rather nasty letter reprinted in Turning Wheels not long ago from Kaiser-Jeep to Studebaker over the similar sounding name.

Craig

Comment

There was also the Plymouth Champ back in the eighties. Their version of the Dodge Colt.

Comment

Many more of the names Studebaker relinquished here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=DIRECTOR

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      Why would they do this and why would they spend money on an ad proclaiming this? I can understand them not wanting to spend money to re-register trademarks for their own future use, but why advertise it? Trying to take advantage of an income tax loophole before the end of the year?
                      The ad probably cost them $10. Probably suggested by the legal department, and informed other companies that the trademarks had been surrendered early and were available. There were probably a bunch of other legal notices published at the same time regarding cancellations of solicitations and other such matters.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X