Studebaker Dealer in Extreme Podunk, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Dealer in Extreme Podunk, Colorado

A friend recently told me of an old Studebaker dealership he drove past "somwhere along highway 14, north of Fort Morgan" in Colorado. For those who don't know the state, there's not much of anything north of Fort Morgan, so I had my doubts.

Last week I drove highway 14, and kept my eye out, hoping to figure out what my friend had seen. I didn't have to concentrate much. This sign is in plain view of the highway when you enter the town of New Raymer. I suspect it is just a shop that belongs to a modern Stude enthusiast, rather than a former dealership. New Raymer is little more than a wide spot in the road, and not at all the kind of town where you would expect to find any kind of car dealership. I don't think New Raymer was much bigger back when Studebaker was still in business. I like seeing the sign anyway!

I'll take my Champion down next time I can come up with a good reason, and I'll stop and introduce myself.

I do not see anyone listed in the Roster from that town.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Maybe its a nightclub!!

Craig

Comment

The building belongs to a family that had alot of Studebakers years ago when he farmed in the area.They bought the sign years ago at an auction in Greeley from a former dealer in Brighton CO.It attracts alot of interest from passing motorists.
        36 Dictator cpe
        36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
        37 Coupe express R-2
        50 Champion convert
        54 champion cpe
        59 3/4 p/up 4wd
        63 Custom R-2
        63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
        63 Avanti R-2
        63 Avant1 R-2
        64 Commander R-1
        64 Challenger R-3
        58 Packard hawk
        64 Champ
        2-63 Wagonaire's
        62 E40 Transtar
        55 3/4 T pickup
        64 Daytona
        Brand X :
        70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

First thought when I saw the title was that someone must have found Eaton!

Still love your '62.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03654.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1676367Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03655.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1676368Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1676369

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
            First thought when I saw the title was that someone must have found Eaton!
            Eaton is podunk to be sure, but it's a metropolis compared to New Raymer!

Comment

I remember passing New Raymer a few times "commuting" to and from Milwaukee. I never saw this thought, not like I was looking for something like that back then.
              www.spannerbird.com
              Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

You'd be surprised with these types of dealerships, you really would! The '55 C/K I'm working on now, came from a dealership in west central Illinois. Out there, the area is very rural. They carry as much importance as the dealerships closer in towards the population centers, because out there, they sold cars that were used to get from point A to point B, and they sold trucks that were usually used by the local farming community, or general use! The dealerships are not only a business, they are a necessity as they provide basic transportation to people who may not leave the area very often. These places were usually part of the heart and soul of the community, and the people usually knew the reputation, families, and people that ran 'em! It goes very well along with the philosophy of "buy local, eat local!"
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                X