Engine Turn Over After 20 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine Turn Over After 20 Years

Hey everyone I just would like to introduce myself I'm Dylan and live in Bakersfield, CA. I enjoy tinkering with anything that has wheels and a motor. This will be my first classic and it happens to be a Studebaker, I do not know the year or model to be exact. The car belonged to a family member, which her father owned but then parked it years ago, and a few months ago passed away. The car has been sitting in a storage unit for the past 20 years or so, and it so happened that I said I would take. So to start my questions off, keep in mind I'm a little newbie, but understand the basics of engines, and combustion. What would be the first steps that I should take to get the ball rolling? The first thing will be changing the oil, and filter, along with changing the radiator fluid. You guys have much a better understanding than I do with Studebaker's, I'm willing to learn, and get a better understanding. I appreciate everyone's input.

Dylan
    I own a 1955 Studebaker President "Speedster", sat garaged for 20 years
    pulled it out in January of 2013, she is now a weekend driver around town.
    "Making many miles, and many smiles a long the way".

sigpic

Welcome. Tell us what you have, please. year, model, engine, transmission, number of doors, and all that.

There is a tag on the firewall on the passenger side. It will say something like 60V-W4 2236 or something like that. We can tell most of what the car is by that and can more specifically help you.

My best advice is to take your time and learn what the car is and what it is not. Don't be in a rush to redesign it, as Studebakers are pretty well designed from the start.

In addition to the shop manual, there is a chassis parts manual and a body parts manual available. They have all been reprinted and some of them are also on disk. These manuals have systems drawings that show all the parts and give part numbers.

There are a few major parts dealers and several smaller parts dealers around and most things you need to make it stop and go can be found without resorting to jury-rigging.

Make it stop first, then make it go/steer.

have fun.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you Radio Roy, once I have the car in my possession I will be able to tell you what year the car is and what model it is. Where can I get a Shop/body parts manual for my vehicle? Thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Try Studebaker International from Indiana

information jim lime jim@studebaker-intl.com
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Go to the Studebaker Drivers Club home page, look for local chapters because the Bakersfield Chapter is a very active bunch of people. You should be able to contact someone to answer questions.

Comment

Here's a great guide to getting an old Stude running again. If it sat for 20 years, you can plan on replacing every rubber bit in the braking system just for safety:

Welcome to Studebaker ownership!
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Welcome, Dylan.

The good news is Bakersfield is warm and dry. It's not like the car sat in Alabama or coastal Maine for the twenty years. A complete rebuild of the brake system is certainly indicated. However, some of what you read and hear about storage in damp climates may not apply. Your results may vary, but from similar climates I've cranked up and driven home cars sitting that long. Good luck and share your strory.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Dylan -

First thing to realize, there is no way that the engine knows what name is on it.
                That is to say, what it takes to get 99.999% of any internal combustion engine running after 20 years, will pretty much be the same as any other.
                A Stude, a Chevy, a Ford, a Hupmobile..all take the same care and feeding.

Some (a little) oil directly into the cylinders (hand turn it if you can, just to get the cylinders [somewhat] wet with oil), a good (freshly charged) battery, fresh oil, water (antifreeze) and gas, a fresh set of spark plugs, manually fill the carburetor with gas...and cross your fingers.

Good luck, have fun.

Mike

Comment

Thank you everyone. Like some of us gear heads I get a little nervous when it comes to things I'm not to sure of. I'm just figuring out where I should start I know its common to put a little oil in each cylinder to loosen the rings. What type of oil would you put in the cylinders?

Jack: Up until a few days ago I was going to do the brakes, but with it being a big safety issue. I think I will outsource that part of the car, do you know anyone in Bakersfield who knows Studebaker brake systems, and is willing to do that part for me?

sigpic

Comment

The best lubricant for a long standing engine is Marvel Mystery Oil, a light penetrating Oil (Red colored) in a Red Can at your Auto Parts Store.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have used Marvel in the past, I will make sure to use that on the engine.

sigpic

Comment

Should I also go ahead and pull the valve covers and make sure their is oil pumping? And go ahead and replace the valve cover seals.

sigpic

Comment

OK. It sounds like you have an overhead valve engine, which means either a V-8, or a six cylinder from 61 or newer.

Have you figured out what kind of a car it is?

Would you tell us please?

That information helps me wrap my mind around the whole thing, or get the big picture, if you will.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RadioRoy - From what I know its a V8 283, yes OHV. I still do not know what year or model it is, and its not super charged. I would love to know so that I could at least Google it so I can see a picture.

sigpic

Comment

Could you post a picture of your car? And one of the engine? If you've been hanging out on the forum, you'll notice that we love pictures. And, of course, they will help us identify things for you.
                              Dave Nevin
                              Corvallis, OR
                              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                              X