Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took a drive around the Studebaker Hamilton plant - you can too (from your computer)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a drive around the Studebaker Hamilton plant - you can too (from your computer)!

With the numerous posts appearing regarding the demolition of The Studebaker plant in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I was curious to see what the place looked like. I typed in this address 369 Ferrie Street East, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada at Google Maps and dropped the little "street view" icon on the intersection. Clicking on the white arrow took me on my "drive."

If anyone has the skills to capture these Google images it would be great for preserving Studebaker history. Eventually the overhead (satellite) and the street view will be updated and the opportunity lost.

Boy, if two things stood out it was the massive amount of glass and the lack of graffiti on the building. Geez, here in So.Cal. they barely pull the concrete form off a section of new freeway and the taggers hit the thing like a Vegas billboard!

Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
    With the numerous posts appearing regarding the demolition of The Studebaker plant in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I was curious to see what the place looked like. I typed in this address 369 Ferrie Street East, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada at Google Maps and dropped the little "street view" icon on the intersection. Clicking on the white arrow took me on my "drive."

If anyone has the skills to capture these Google images it would be great for preserving Studebaker history. Eventually the overhead (satellite) and the street view will be updated and the opportunity lost.

Boy, if two things stood out it was the massive amount of glass and the lack of graffiti on the building. Geez, here in So.Cal. they barely pull the concrete form off a section of new freeway and the taggers hit the thing like a Vegas billboard!

Tom
    Great suggestion Tom. If you look at 2R5's post you'll see I've been there regularly and have filed pictures. I'll be keeping this up until it's all gone. Look forward to someone determining how to download Google Maps images.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

Wow, I just took the tour. Seeing the arial and then going down the roads was pretty cool. You kind of know that the brick building was offices and the metal buildings were assembly, but it would be neat to have them labeled. Maybe Stu has done that. He's pretty much on top of this, thankfully. Sad to know that it's all going to be gone soon, but if there's no use for it or way to make it usable for something else, there's not much choice. Probably prime real estate. Need to get a truck load of the bricks to sell at the National Museum or to make a display for the Canadian plant behind the blue Cruiser that was the last car built. Kinda sad, really.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
        Wow, I just took the tour. Seeing the arial and then going down the roads was pretty cool. You kind of know that the brick building was offices and the metal buildings were assembly, but it would be neat to have them labeled. Maybe Stu has done that. He's pretty much on top of this, thankfully. Sad to know that it's all going to be gone soon, but if there's no use for it or way to make it usable for something else, there's not much choice. Probably prime real estate. Need to get a truck load of the bricks to sell at the National Museum or to make a display for the Canadian plant behind the blue Cruiser that was the last car built. Kinda sad, really.
        Interesting that you should mention the bricks. At my visit to the plant yesterday I checked out the huge pile of bricks waiting disposition. Accompanied by a friend who is a brick expert, we confirmed that these bricks were manufactured by the Hamilton Brick Company at three different times. As a result there are differences in them. There may be a possibility we could obtain a quantity of these bricks, however the cost of shipping bricks to memorabilia collectors would likely be prohibitive. But let's think about it. Be creative and let me have your ideas. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
        Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
          Interesting that you should mention the bricks. At my visit to the plant yesterday I checked out the huge pile of bricks waiting disposition. Accompanied by a friend who is a brick expert, we confirmed that these bricks were manufactured by the Hamilton Brick Company at three different times. As a result there are differences in them. There may be a possibility we could obtain a quantity of these bricks, however the cost of shipping bricks to memorabilia collectors would likely be prohibitive. But let's think about it. Be creative and let me have your ideas. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
          Stu Chapman
          All of the Hamilton area SDC members line their trunks with one layer of bricks before coming to the Colorado National. It will give the cars that racey lowered look and provide added traction. The bricks could then be swapped to Indiana members to take back to the museum. Canadian members driving through Indiana, on the way to Colorado, could drop the bricks off on the way. What could be easier? Stu, you said to be creative......
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Maybe instead of the bricks we could purchase some "brick sized" wood flooring and donate it to the museum.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
              All of the Hamilton area SDC members line their trunks with one layer of bricks before coming to the Colorado National. It will give the cars that racey lowered look and provide added traction. The bricks could then be swapped to Indiana members to take back to the museum. Canadian members driving through Indiana, on the way to Colorado, could drop the bricks off on the way. What could be easier? Stu, you said to be creative......
              First let me see if the Museum is interested in a load of bricks. Of course they might tell me I'm one brick short of a full load.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                First let me see if the Museum is interested in a load of bricks. Of course they might tell me I'm one brick short of a full load.
                Stu Chapman
                if you can get bricks i am interested in a few. my goal is one from sd many of the buildings as i can.

Comment

If Stu gets some bricks I can haul them to SB in May for anyone wanting one.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    If Stu gets some bricks I can haul them to SB in May for anyone wanting one.
                    I need enough for about 8000 SQ FT of patio and driveway. Thanks Bob, you're a jewel. You have no problem bringing them to Phoenix for the Zone Meet next October, right?
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                    X