Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picture of a horn button for 1938 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture of a horn button for 1938 Commander?

Hey all - just brought my great-grandfather's 1938 Commander home and have begun the fun process of getting it back in running shape! It's structurally very sound, just have to perform all the necessary jobs to get it ready to start as dad has stored it in the garage for the past 10 years without starting it.

Anyway - it's missing it's horn button (dad doesn't know where he put it). Does anyone have a picture of what I should be looking for? Even better, does anyone out there have one for sale? I've posted this over at the AACA forum as well.

Thanks,

Robert
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Craig

Comment

It depends upon whether the car had the standard wheel or the Deluxe (Banjo) type wheel. The wheel shown above in the 8E45E post is the deluxe wheel. If you can send a photo of the wheel we can make the determination..
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        If you can send a photo of the wheel we can make the determination..
        Excellent idea. It could also have the 'fatman' wheel, which is interesting in itself!!

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Is this a factory offering? Very cool looking art deco design!

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Excellent idea. It could also have the 'fatman' wheel, which is interesting in itself!!

Craig
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Here is a picture....
            Attached Files
            1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
            1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Is this a factory offering? Very cool looking art deco design!
              And after a big lunch at Mickey D's, it makes it easy to get back behind the wheel:

Craig

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	38 comm inst panel copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1676350

Here a factory engineering photo showing the steering wheel and part of the instrument panel. This is the standard wheel. The horn button is listed in the parts book as part number 190107 (black) or 189866 (grey) for the President. That however conflicts with my recollection and the photo. I remember most all Commanders as being grey. In any event the horn buttons for the 1936-41 wheels all look very much alike but will not interchange. The Shrock Bros make a lot of this kind of stuff though I do not see it listed. I would give them a try first: http://www.shrockbrothers.com/studeb...ts.html#script
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                X