The Great Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Debate

Building a R3Lark for my son James White to drive.
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

For a street car I am a big fan of the triangulated 4 link design over a parallel 4 link. You do not need a Panhard bar and they work great for cornering as well as straight line performance.

The triangulated 4 link rear suspension. It works well as an all-around type of suspension. We show you the pros and cons and how to make it work right!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just wondering what you did not like about the parallel leaf spring set up...that with some Cal-Tracs can net some pretty awesome results for hooking up serious power on the street. Regards, Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Rear Ends

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Just wondering what you did not like about the parallel leaf spring set up...that with some Cal-Tracs can net some pretty awesome results for hooking up serious power on the street. Regards, Junior.
        Cool Factor

Corvette IRS 12
        4 Link 9 in Ford 10
        Leaf Springs 2

On some projects the Cool factor must be factored in...................
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC

Comment

Wow...honest reply, but any Lark with a BBC already has a wow factor of 10 for me..10+ if it can hook up well enough to pull the front wheels off the ground with little 'ol leaf springs. Anyways, can't blame you for backing out of the Corvette...what a bear to mount up one of those huh? Regards, Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Have you looked at Rene's 4 link. Of course not quiet as cool as the one you are looking at. Aren't you glad you didn't sell 9 inch. D

Comment

Jack, here's a couple pics of a C4 Corvette rear end that the P.O. of my '63 Avanti "grafted" in:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1676343Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1676344

other photos of the C4 drivetrain were requested by Mr. Johnstone, and can be found here: http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...1384x1110.html

if you decide to go with the Corvette rear end, i'd go ahead and replace the wheel bearings - both my '74 and '80 went bad in less than 18 months, and the Avanti rears were loosening up by the time i sold her...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Corvette

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                Jack, here's a couple pics of a C4 Corvette rear end that the P.O. of my '63 Avanti "grafted" in:[ATTACH=CONFIG]19553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19554[/ATTACH]

other photos of the C4 drivetrain were requested by Mr. Johnstone, and can be found here: http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...1384x1110.html

if you decide to go with the Corvette rear end, i'd go ahead and replace the wheel bearings - both my '74 and '80 went bad in less than 18 months, and the Avanti rears were loosening up by the time i sold her...
                Was your rear end shortened?
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC

Comment

i really don't know since i didn't do it the work - (PO) , but it did not appear to be so. the rear axle length for the C4 should be 60.4". i can't find the length for the avanti/lark from a very quick search. OTOH, it doesn't look to take "too" much to shorten. though making it so is above my "pay grade" now.

BTW: the set-up posted on your blog with the furd rear end also looks "cool"!
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Ordered the 4 link set up today................. Corvette rear end for sale.
                    Jack White
                    Charlotte,NC

Comment

Jack, that blue beauty is a '56 isn't it? I saw an ad the other week in the Hickory IWANNA trade paper for a '56 2 dr priced at $1000. That's all the info I have on it.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

56 President

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        Jack, that blue beauty is a '56 isn't it? I saw an ad the other week in the Hickory IWANNA trade paper for a '56 2 dr priced at $1000. That's all the info I have on it.
                        Yep thats the 56 President Classic 4 Door
                        Jack White
                        Charlotte,NC

Comment

Working...
                        X