Photos of the Hamilton Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the Hamilton Plant

Here are a few pictures of the Hamilton plant taken this weekend by Stu Chapman, it won't be long and it will all be history.

Last edited by 2R5; 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

How sad, there are tears in my Daytona's headlights.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks for posting these for me Bob. The first picture shows the south wall of the plant where it meets the east wall of the parts depot. If you look carefully towards the top you'll see a chain holding the two walls somewhat together. There's nothing else to keep them upright.
      Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu, who owns that property now? Are there plans for it? I hated when the South Bend plant was demolished, so much history gone. Are there pictures and archives of the Hamilton plant during it's lifetime? I have the book, "The Studebaker Century" that I bought. It's a second edition from 1987 and very little is mentioned about the Hamilton plant.
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          Stu, who owns that property now? Are there plans for it? I hated when the South Bend plant was demolished, so much history gone. Are there pictures and archives of the Hamilton plant during it's lifetime? I have the book, "The Studebaker Century" that I bought. It's a second edition from 1987 and very little is mentioned about the Hamilton plant.
          It would appear you've missed the running commentary over the years so I'll try and give you a quick summary. We sold the property to Otis Elevator in 1967 and used for elevator production. Otis then sold it in the late 70s to Allen Candy whose owner eventually sold to Cadbury, in the 80s I believe, but he kept the property. It was used for years as a storage facility and early this year the City of Hamilton issued a $650,000 grant towards demolition. In due course an industrial park is expected to rise from the dust, also with a grant from the city at around $3.5 million. You'll also find references to the Hamilton property in my book, My Father The Car, which, if you don't have a copy, is available from the Studebaker National Museum.
          Stu Chapman

Comment

How sad, there are tears in my Daytona's headlights.
            Yep, I thought I heard some sobbing from the Cruiser's side of the garage a little while ago......
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Here are a few more pictures that Stu took today.

Last edited by 2R5; 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I saved the first photo to my computer and will see if any of my computer savey kids can photoshop the Daytona to look like it's parked in front.

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                Here are a few more pictures that Stu too today
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thunderations--

That should be easy enough to achieve...in the meantime, here's a shot of two Hamilton Chapter '66s in front of the completed car drive-off doorway during the Hamilton Plant farewell this past fall. The blue-black Cruiser on the left belongs to Cliff (2moredoors) Tattersall and the cream Daytona on the right to Bob (2R5) Barrick. Both are superbly-turned-out cars, looking suitably brand-new for the photo location!

S.

Comment

Stu's book is also available for purchase online from the AOAI:

Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	canada hamilton sign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1676362

In better days (1950).
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Dick,
                        Thanks for posting that Canadian Studebaker image which I had not previously seen.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                          Sorry Lew, I should have remembered that. Thanks for the plug.
                          Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]19593[/ATTACH]

In better days (1950).
                            That one I had forgotten. Thanks for sharing it Dick.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Are there pictures and archives of the Hamilton plant during it's lifetime?
                              Back in 1988 when I was doing research at the Ontario Archives for my thesis, I (out of curiosity) searched "Studebaker" in their listings. A set of personal papers showed up but I was unable to access them since they had a 25 year lock on them. Have always been meaning to re-search that listing to see just what they were. They did have something to do with the Hamilton Plant but for the life of me, I can't remember the person's name who donated them. Maybe somebody in the Toronto area with some time on their hands could do some searching.

Doug
                              Last edited by s2d63lark; 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM. Reason: grammer correction
                              1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X