Separating trans from a stuck engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Separating trans from a stuck engine

I have a 63 289 and auto trans out of a cruiser on the floor. Will the input shaft come out of the torque converter so I can separate the trans from the engine without being able to rotate the crankshaft? Thanks

To: Boothguy,-----Yes, it will slide right out......careful not to pinch Your toes!!!!!!

Comment

should do so unless rust or rodent droppings have seized things....after the d- shaft is removed and fluid drained and all rods have been removed...pull the 4 screws tranny-to-converter housing...should come right out....If not, you'll need to pull the whole unit as some (me) prefer. I will be performing your removal in m y 63' Cruiser very soon. GL

Comment

Yes, but be careful. At some point all the engine weight can be bearing on the input shaft. Keeping both equally supported will help. I got my 700R4 out of one of those "Obama" cars. You know, the ones where the government picked up $4,500 of the cost to stimulate the auto industry. They run silica through the engines so they lock up and can't be used anymore. When I needed to rotate the engine to loosen the convertor bolts..., I couldn't! Eventually I put an old car seat on the ground and as quickly was I could yanked the transmission hoping to keep the weight off the input shaft.

With the transmission (and thus the bellhousing) removed I was able to snake an open end wrench between the block and the flex plate and get the upper bolts converter out. But, for a while there I thought I might have to leave what appeared to be a recently rebuilt transmission behind. Instead I preserved and got it for $70 (with converter) at a Pick A Part 50% off sale.

Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks for the input- so to speak

Comment

Originally posted by Boothguy View Post
            Thanks for the input- so to speak
            "Thanks for the input".....FUNNY!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X