Solid Stude spotted in Macon, GA junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Stude spotted in Macon, GA junkyard

As I was driving NE on GA 49 this morning I spotted at A-1 auto salvage, on the outskirts of Macon, a pale green 50-51 4 door. I only saw the car from the rear and it looks complete and in good shape. I couldn't pull over and see it but could tell it is well kept, little bit of surface rust on roof, but otherwise good. This car was in a separated fenced off section of the yard so it may be safe, but I will check it out once I go on Christmas break from school next week.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Hey Alex, Do you know what ever happened to the Lark wagon that was for sale in your area awhile back?
    Hope to see you at the So.Ga.Chapter meeting in January. We'll be at the Golden Corral in Warner Robbins at 11:30 on the 12th.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

I didn't know there was a Lark wagon for sale in my area, I do know of a 63 Lark VIII 4 door that was sold recently and by a stroke of luck I saw the car missing from the house 2 weeks before the garage and cars in front of the garage, where the Lark parked, burned out. Also the meeting in Warner Robins I could make because for the first time in a while my car is roadworthy.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Sorry, I thought that Lark was a wagon. I think it was on Craigslist around Perry.
        Maybe someone will grab the bullit nose up.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
          As I was driving NE on GA 49 this morning I spotted at A-1 auto salvage, on the outskirts of Macon, a pale green 50-51 4 door. I only saw the car from the rear and it looks complete and in good shape. I couldn't pull over and see it but could tell it is well kept, little bit of surface rust on roof, but otherwise good. This car was in a separated fenced off section of the yard so it may be safe, but I will check it out once I go on Christmas break from school next week.
          I was curious and called. The gentleman said it was a 51 champion and that the interior was like new. That was all I could get before he had to go. So if you need interior for a 51 4d champ, that's the place it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by 51LandCruiser View Post
            I was curious and called. The gentleman said it was a 51 champion and that the interior was like new. That was all I could get before he had to go. So if you need interior for a 51 4d champ, that's the place it seems.

Did he offer up a price? Thanks, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
              Did he offer up a price? Thanks, Steve
              Didn't get that far. He wanted me to come by and look at it but I am in another state and not really interested, just wanted to help out some. I wanted to ask about the condition of the drive train as well but he seemed busy. I think he would rather someone take a look at it first and then talk about it was the vibe I got.

Comment

Originally posted by 51LandCruiser View Post
                Didn't get that far. He wanted me to come by and look at it but I am in another state and not really interested, just wanted to help out some. I wanted to ask about the condition of the drive train as well but he seemed busy. I think he would rather someone take a look at it first and then talk about it was the vibe I got.

Thanks, Its 4 hrs from me also per Mapquest and my interest is limited in a Champion sedan. I would make the drive quick if it was a solid V-8 LandCruiser. Thanks, Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  Thanks, Its 4 hrs from me also per Mapquest and my interest is limited in a Champion sedan. I would make the drive quick if it was a solid V-8 LandCruiser. Thanks, Steve
                  The more I think about it the more he seemed unsure to me. The reason I say this is because I asked him "does it have vents on the rear doors?" and he said yes the car has vents. I asked "in the back doors?" and he said yes the car has vent glass in the doors. "In the back? so its a land cruiser?" and he said "its a 51 studebaker, 4dr" then he said "champion". Soooooo I'm guessing it is a champion since he said the name, he must of gotten it off the car. Unless the car had the wrong script on it. He seemed busy and was distracted talking to someone else while he had me on the phone. I figure he got the name off the car unless the car is mislabeled.

I will see what I can do for ya. I will try and go by to take a look at it and get a pic or two for confirmation, but I am not 100% I can talk the wife into it. We have to travel through Macon on our way to north Ga to visit family for the holidays on friday. We will see I guess. If anyone can snag a pic before then, that would be great

Update: Looks like I wont be able to do it after all. Everyone is telling me I will be heading into a monsoon if I drive through south ga on friday. Fun.
                  Last edited by 51LandCruiser; 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Turns out it was a very nice day on friday. I managed to find the place and snapped some pictures. I just got home to upload them. I talked to the guy and he wanted 3500 for the car. After looking it over and telling him 3500 was WAY too much, he said he would take 2000. He seemed set on that price but I think you could get it as low as 1500 or lower if you try hard.

Ok, to the car. Its not a 51, its a 50 and it is a champion. He said it used to run and was parked there running but you be the judge. seems like it was towed in to me (radiator in the trunk and tires shot). He said the interior was great but all the bottoms of the door panels have rotted away and the drivers window is busted out(rear drivers cracked bad and front pass cracked as well). Seats looked good but i don't know enough to tell if they are factory or have been redone before. It had 3 stude hubcaps in the trunk along with a nash hubcap and another misc one. One had a few dings and another had some black stuff that flaked off easy and one looked great as far as I could tell. all 3 seemed decent enough.

Exterior Pics:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1676434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1676435Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1676436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3358.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1676437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1676438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1676439Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1676440

Comment

More pics.

Interior Pics:

Name:	IMG_3347.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1676441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3348.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1676442Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1676443Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3353.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1676444Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3349.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1676445Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3361.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1676446Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3362.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1676447Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1676448

Comment

Engine and Trunk:

Name:	IMG_3360.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1676449Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1676450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3356.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1676451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3355.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1676452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3354.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1676453

And the drivers door:

Name:	IMG_3365.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1676454

Comment

'Nice pics, Dan; thanks for the show and information.

Is that an unopened, vintage can of STP Oil Treatment on the battery tray? Might be worth investigating if it is of Studebaker Corporation / Chemical Compounds' ownership era.

Might the car have been a special regional model for the southwest market, with a Spanish influence? After all, the model script on the front fender distinctly says it is a "Champio" (You know, as in El Camino, Amigo, etc....) BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for posting, this looks like one someone needs to save!

Bob, maybe you should take your idea a step further, buy it, drop a V8 in it, cut the back part away and make a "EL CHAMPIO" pickup out of it!
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                            X