Thinking of selling the '53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of selling the '53

Haven't set a price or anything yet. In fact that is a major reason we haven't done anything yet. Not sure how to set the price. Have read the ads in TW but can't really find a comparable. Ours started out as a low mileage garage find that we did a cosmetic on. Still plenty to do. Any suggestions?
    sigpic

You don't have to worry about other cars. You know what yours is worth to you. You know what you wouldn't take. So go up til you would. Easy. We will just start making you offers and you stop us when it's sold. LOL Here ya go. I will make the first offer $2,500.00. Who's next, or have I bought it?

Comment

E-bay will give let you know what the market is willing to pay, so put it on e-bay and set your resereve at the minimum you're prepared to take for it. Regardless of how you decide to sell it, your buyer is probably going to ask for more info than you've shared with us in this thread. What's been done to the car, what needs to be done, how is the car equipped, and what is the mileage? Info like this will help others help target price range for the car. Regards, Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm not sure I would sell it right now if you don't have to. . .I think the market for 53/54 c/k must be at the lowest ever.

We just saw a really nice Champion sell for $12.5k on ebay--and it languished there for days with that as its buy-it-now price. While a commander will command a slightly higher price (sorry, I couldn't resist) I don't think they're there yet.

This is sad, considering that most (even non-studebaker) car people think it is one of the best auto designs of the 20th century.

There is hope, however. We're seeing the market for the more desirable hawks pick up at the major auctions. We're getting more press in the trade magazines of the hobby. Fingers crossed, it might pick up.

At the very least, wait for late spring.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Jeez, Bubba. It's Christmas, and I DESERVE another Stude. Love that coupe in those colours. Write up a feature list and I'm sure you will get lots of offers. Good luck.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
            I'm not sure I would sell it right now if you don't have to. . .I think the market for 53/54 c/k must be at the lowest ever.

We just saw a really nice Champion sell for $12.5k on ebay--and it languished there for days with that as its buy-it-now price. While a commander will command a slightly higher price (sorry, I couldn't resist) I don't think they're there yet.

This is sad, considering that most (even non-studebaker) car people think it is one of the best auto designs of the 20th century.

There is hope, however. We're seeing the market for the more desirable hawks pick up at the major auctions. We're getting more press in the trade magazines of the hobby. Fingers crossed, it might pick up.

At the very least, wait for late spring.
            If yours is a Champion, it would need a drive train swap to be of any use to me. But I am sure many other folks would love a crack at buying it.

Comment

It is a early 53 Commander 2 door with the tristar. 232 with automatic. We know it's entire history. The original owner purchased it and kept it until about 1971. We have her photograph and a letter of inquiry from her about joining the local SDC when they were just forming the chapter here. The next owner was a friend of mine. He purchased it from her in 1971 or 1972 when it had 50XXX on it. He parked it in a garage and there it sat for 30 years getting moved once. We bought it and stored it a year or so before doing anything. We oiled up the engine and started it. Then the brakes and lines were replaced. A re-cored radiator, hoses and belts, water pump, fuel pump and carb rebuild by Thiebeault. sp? Body except for floor was pretty solid. About the only rust was the usual on the back portion of the fenders and the floor pan on both the driver and passenger side. I can take pics. Not huge but it is there and all we have done is a temporary fix. The rust on the doors was a Bondo job as were some dents dings and scrapes the original owner had acquired over her nearly 20 years of driving. Not original paint. Seats have new upholstery from JDP and it is really nice. Have plenty of extra material to do doors. Headliner is original and still intact but looks very fragile. If anyone is serious we will be super honest to the best of our ability and really suggest an impartial local member take a look at it for you if you are not local. Re-chromed front bumper was installed after this video was taken. Also this video was done before the new upholstery.
              sigpic

Comment

Not sure how to set the price.
                Always a tough one. It's easy to say,
                You know what yours is worth to you.
                but it is human nature to want get the top dollar. There's something about letting one go for short money that bothers some more than others. Some say, "I just want it gone." and never look back.

I once got a great buy on a early '55 Chevy pickup, tinted 5-window with Hydramatic. I did a few things to it and sold it for several times what I paid for it and thought I'd done well. However, I too late discovered these are very rare and the deluxe cabs even more rare and the Hydramatic rarest of all. It would have brought at least twice what I got for it.

If you've only got one collector car, take your time and do your homework. Definitely X2 on waiting until spring or early summer to list it for sale.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Sometimes buyer have the same kind of remorse. Once in Nassau a little boy sold me a conch shell for a dollar. I went around the corner and there was a pile of them the conch fishermen were throwing back in the ocean. Oh well, I thought it was worth the dollar when I bought it.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                    Sometimes buyer have the same kind of remorse. Once in Nassau a little boy sold me a conch shell for a dollar. I went around the corner and there was a pile of them the conch fishermen were throwing back in the ocean. Oh well, I thought it was worth the dollar when I bought it.
                    I have learned that, when buying a car, never look in the classified ads/craigslist/ebay immediately after the purchase because no matter what there will always be a better model of the same thing you bought at a cheaper price. It is just best not to know.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                    X