Need advice on '56 Hawk purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on '56 Hawk purchase

I've been a member of Studebaker's Drivers Club for several months and I'm now nearing a purchase of a '56 Power Hawk. I've got a couple of questions for you "experts".
    1) What can I expect to pay for the rebuild of a 259 V8 engine? Suggested rebuilders?
    2) What can I expect to pay for the rebuild of the stock automatic transmission?
    3) Do you have any advice/concerns specific to the '56 model year?
    4) Lastly, I would be doing a complete restoration of this car for safety, driveability and my personal taste. I've always liked the tail fins of the '56 Golden Hawk; that being said, if located can these be easily fitted to the Power hawk? Anyone have some tail fins and necessary chrome trim for sale?

Thanks!!

1. rebuilds will vary from a do it yourself $800-$1200 for parts and machine shop labor to $3000 or more for a pro rebuild.
    2. I pay 5 Hours labor ($250) and $150 parts for a carry in trans rebuild, you could pay $1500 for a drive in drive out deal.
    3. Nothing specific, just the typical rust issues.
    4. yes, you could add the fins.

Lastly, as you can see, buy the best car you can afford because you could spend 10-20K restoring one needing work.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

1. rebuilds will vary from a do it yourself $800-$1200 for parts and machine shop labor to $3000 or more for a pro rebuild.
      2. I pay 5 Hours labor ($250) and $150 parts for a carry in trans rebuild, you could pay $1500 for a drive in drive out deal.
      3. Nothing specific, just the typical rust issues.
      4. yes, you could add the fins.

Lastly, as you can see, buy the best car you can afford because you could spend 10-20K restoring one needing work.

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      64 GT R2
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you farm out the whole job, figure AT LEAST $3000 to properly rebuild a Studebaker V8. Maybe a grand to go through the transmission.

Nothing special about '56 Studebakers. WAIT! Let me rephrase that: 1956 Studebakers are every bit as special as any other year Studebaker!!

I am not sure the GH fins and chrome would look all that great on a Power Hawk--maybe a Sky Hawk? Plus, finding 56J donor fins could present quite a challenge--you might have to fabricate them yourself.

Comment

If you farm out the whole job, figure AT LEAST $3000 to properly rebuild a Studebaker V8. Maybe a grand to go through the transmission.

Nothing special about '56 Studebakers. WAIT! Let me rephrase that: 1956 Studebakers are every bit as special as any other year Studebaker!!

I am not sure the GH fins and chrome would look all that great on a Power Hawk--maybe a Sky Hawk? Plus, finding 56J donor fins could present quite a challenge--you might have to fabricate them yourself.

Comment

It will save you quite a bit of money if it has a good hood, they tend to bend in the corners like all C & K models if the hinges are not lubed and the (4) springs including the (2) forward "pull-back" springs to the inner fender kept in good shape. You also need to pull the hood forward when opening!

The reason I mention the hood, is that it is unique to '56 only, it has the small bubble shaped scoop and the '57-'62 has the full length one. You may not find a correct replacement and have to use the '57 type, if needed.

'56's also have the fender-top parking lights in a different location than the '57 & '58, The '56's are farther back from the headlights.

Congrats on finding a Power Hawk, they are great cars, I still have one of many my Dad sold new when he was a Stude. salesman.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It will save you quite a bit of money if it has a good hood, they tend to bend in the corners like all C & K models if the hinges are not lubed and the (4) springs including the (2) forward "pull-back" springs to the inner fender kept in good shape. You also need to pull the hood forward when opening!

The reason I mention the hood, is that it is unique to '56 only, it has the small bubble shaped scoop and the '57-'62 has the full length one. You may not find a correct replacement and have to use the '57 type, if needed.

'56's also have the fender-top parking lights in a different location than the '57 & '58, The '56's are farther back from the headlights.

Congrats on finding a Power Hawk, they are great cars, I still have one of many my Dad sold new when he was a Stude. salesman.

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

That's almost exactly what I paid to get my drivetrain done.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

That's almost exactly what I paid to get my drivetrain done.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The fins are not nearly as difficult to find as would be the "checkmark" chrome in decent condition. If you decided you wanted to make a coupe have fins you would also have to add the inner quarter trim such as that offered by Classic Enterprises, which means drilling holes on the inner fenders to attach fins and the trim. At the very least you drill to attach fins and use the vinyl trim some are currently using. You will also have to drill holes in side of rear quarters to attach the checkmarks with barrel nuts.

I have a spare set of fins and the rear quarter moldings if you decide to go this route, I also have a VERY pitted set of checkmarks. If I were you and wanted the fins of a 56 Golden Hawk I would watch Ebay and buy a 1956 Golden Hawk. The time and effort to modify the 1956 Power Hawk to have fins will hurt the value of the car more than your investment in parts and labor. Those 56J's show up on a regular basis on Ebay.

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
                    It is an addiction!

Comment

The fins are not nearly as difficult to find as would be the "checkmark" chrome in decent condition. If you decided you wanted to make a coupe have fins you would also have to add the inner quarter trim such as that offered by Classic Enterprises, which means drilling holes on the inner fenders to attach fins and the trim. At the very least you drill to attach fins and use the vinyl trim some are currently using. You will also have to drill holes in side of rear quarters to attach the checkmarks with barrel nuts.

I have a spare set of fins and the rear quarter moldings if you decide to go this route, I also have a VERY pitted set of checkmarks. If I were you and wanted the fins of a 56 Golden Hawk I would watch Ebay and buy a 1956 Golden Hawk. The time and effort to modify the 1956 Power Hawk to have fins will hurt the value of the car more than your investment in parts and labor. Those 56J's show up on a regular basis on Ebay.

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
                      It is an addiction!

Comment

He's right about just going ahead and buying a 56J. You can find one in restorable condition for as little as 5 or 6 grand if you wait for the right one. For 15-20K you can do a really nice restoration--not a 100 point car, but a BEAUTIFUL driver that you would be proud to show.

For about 25K you will have the car of your dreams. Not a lot to pay.

Or, you can buy one ready to go for about the same price or maybe LESS!!!!

Comment

He's right about just going ahead and buying a 56J. You can find one in restorable condition for as little as 5 or 6 grand if you wait for the right one. For 15-20K you can do a really nice restoration--not a 100 point car, but a BEAUTIFUL driver that you would be proud to show.

For about 25K you will have the car of your dreams. Not a lot to pay.

Or, you can buy one ready to go for about the same price or maybe LESS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X